Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV ute won't start

JWK44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Sportwagon, VE2 SSV Ute
Hi Guys,

Done a bit of a search and can't find the exact issue so thought I would post this.

I have a VE2 SSV ute that came to me with a rod knock. I have rebuilt the engine and put everything back together. Before I removed the engine it was able to start off the key with a new battery.

Since putting the engine back in I have had trouble locating a reason why it won't start. If I try to start the car off the key I get nothing. If I hook a jump starter onto the battery in the cabin, again nothing. Lastly, if I hook the jump starter to the jumper post under the hood the car will start with no issues (it cranks on the slower side but starts every time). Once the car has started it runs well with no issues.

I took the car for a run-in drive and with the car hot after about 60kms of driving it started off the key (only just and cranked slowly). A couple of days later it did not start again and following the same sequence as listed above gave the same results. I do not have access to a tech 2 but a ODB2 scanner does not list any faults.

I've looked into the relay and it seems good 220 ohms on pins 85 to 86 (have tried multiple relays as borrowed them from the sportwagon to test). The jumper post seems to have the same voltage as the battery.

I am starting to think that the cable from the battery to the jumper post or a starter that is on the way out are the most likely issues but just throwing it out there if anyone has any other ideas that I could investigate.

Cheers

JWK44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Sportwagon, VE2 SSV Ute
Hmmm.. I jumped the relay to see if the starter would turn (maybe a dodgey connection on the starter solenoid wire) and it spun up fine. Then tried starting with the key and it started right up. Will leave it until tomorrow and see if it will start off the key. If not, thinking starter is the culprit.