Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stainless v Mild Exhaust Systems

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
if you plan to do big work in the future. i'd look at an exhuast that will suit them mods. who cares if you get an twin 3inch now and lose power in lower rev's. it will deffinetly help in the future! plus it will have a deeper sound.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
Yeh that's it.

VS.5L

VX SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd....and....250cc Baby Ninja
Is there any difference in Hp between the two systems... S/Steel vs M/Steel that is?? or is mainly just one sounds nicer than the other and one is shinier than the other??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Is there any difference in Hp between the two systems... S/Steel vs M/Steel that is?? or is mainly just one sounds nicer than the other and one is shinier than the other??

Assuming they both flow the same cfm (ie same spec) then any difference would be very minimal.

Reaper

VS.5L

VX SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
So it comes down to preferance and the price tag.

Cheers for the reply to mate.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In theory, S/S should give slightly more HP as it gets hotter due to being a bit thinner. Heat equals better flow, that's why a lot of OEM systems have heat shields.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I know at least 2 people who are continually having their stainless exhausts welded up from cracks, stainless steel is brittle compared to mild steel. Particularly bad if your car is low and prone to bottoming out. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it, when mild steel last for a long time anyway.

I've had a mild steel exhaust on my car for nearly 8 years/75,000 now, and there's no signs of it rusting away.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
In theory, S/S should give slightly more HP as it gets hotter due to being a bit thinner. Heat equals better flow, that's why a lot of OEM systems have heat shields.

Stainless steel does not convect heat anywhere near as well as carbon steel though. Thus heat is not transferred down the tube to the same extent as mild steel. Further to that, most larger dia s/s systems used the same thickness tube as mild steel systems from what I have seen. (May stand to be corrected on that one as it's been a while).

Whatever the situation is though - your "fully sick bro" window sticker probably gives more hp than either of them over each other.

Reaper

VS.5L

VX SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you really need a 3inch exhaust for a cammed car?? or is 2.5ich with good set of extractors and high flow cats enough?? wether it be S/S or M/S

i no this isnt the perfect thread for this question but while there is people looking at this who know what there talking bout, im gonna ask.

So cheers in advance for those who give me there two cents
Chris

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
stainless steel is the same thickness as Mild steel on exhuasts!

to the person saying their mates are endlessly welding their cracks. have they attached their exhuast system with steel hangers instead of the rubber hangers?
i have not heard of any top brand name exhuast with stainless cracking, even mine...

@VS.5L different people will have different answers to that, but i reackon twin 3" is better myself.