Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting fault-Fuel related URGENT HELP PLEASE

Jez

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 executive 1996
Hey lads, My vt v6 commodore is having some problems
On saturday, drove it 10 kms then a POP *Backfire* and the car shut off, it was low on fuel so off i went to get a jerry can worth of fuel.
Got the car started, drove it to the petrol station with it being odd/lumpy driving up one hill, then down one to the servo. Chucked $60 in, and back onto the road.
Accelerated, was lumpy and missing, got it around the corner before it finally shut off (At another petrol station). Put injector cleaner in, started after 10 mins then shut off again. Now would just crank and not kick over
So i got it towed back to mine tried starting-ran for 10 seconds then shut off and just crank no fire, the next day i replaced spark plugs/leads and started first go. Ran for 20/30 mins, took it for a drive then came back home, idled fine so i shut it off and left it for 6 hours. Went back out to start it, back to the problem and not kicking over
So today i replaced fuel filter today, started it first go and ran again for 20 mins. Just left it for 2 hours again, tried to start it but doesnt start again, just crank

Key points-
Does start and run (Has done twice)
When it cuts out, it wont start again for a fair while, itll just crank
Fuel pump does kick in, can hear it
When it shuts off, just before its missing, doesnt seem like its getting fuel
I do have spark, otherwise it wouldnt start after those other times

Parts already replaced-
sparkplugs
leads
fuel filter

need help urgently please
Anything would help
Cheers lads

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
You may need either a new fuel pump or a crank angle sensor CAS). The fuel pump can still run and sound like it's working however the pressure may be too low. How many K's on the fuel pump? Can you connect a pressure gauge up to the fuel pump?
A good way to see I it is the CAS is next time it stops pour some cold water onto the CAS and if it starts right away then it is most likely faulty.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
+ 1 for crank angle sensor

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
When it backfired, it could have backfired back through the air intake and damaged the MAF sensor.
MAF sensors are a very sensitive sensor and the pressure from the backfire could have damaged it.
Worth checking.

Last edited:

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
Any luck fixing the problem?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4