Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Vibration when turning left?

vfssv62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SSV S2
Hi People's first time poster so not sure if this has been discussed,
I'm currently experiencing a slight steering wheel vibration when turning left under braking load, car is a VF Series 2 SSV MY16 so its not part of the EPS recall of the Series 1's. I have had the car at Fulcrum and they did all their suspension checks and came up with nothing that could cause this problem. It's also not warped rotors as there is no vibration when braking straight on, only get the vibration when turning slight left not full left lock. Its also more noticeable under light load not heavy load and only for a short time and the most annoying thing is its not very constant you have hit the right speed, right steering wheel angle and right brake pressure for it to occur.

Any help would be much appreciated Cheers.

Eric Gleeson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF International
Hi People's first time poster so not sure if this has been discussed,
I'm currently experiencing a slight steering wheel vibration when turning left under braking load, car is a VF Series 2 SSV MY16 so its not part of the EPS recall of the Series 1's. I have had the car at Fulcrum and they did all their suspension checks and came up with nothing that could cause this problem. It's also not warped rotors as there is no vibration when braking straight on, only get the vibration when turning slight left not full left lock. Its also more noticeable under light load not heavy load and only for a short time and the most annoying thing is its not very constant you have hit the right speed, right steering wheel angle and right brake pressure for it to occur.

Any help would be much appreciated Cheers.

I had an issue about a year and a half ago in my '06 Executive, the CV joint i think it was in the front right had come out of place a little bit and when i'd be doing a sharp turn like a 3 point turn for example i'd hear a big grinding type sound. wasn't a vibration as such, just a grinding sound, and like your issue it didn't happen all the time it was only occasionally if i was turning slowly if i made a quick turn i heard nothing.......It could be a CV joint or a pebble or rock stuck in where the break pads and rotors are too... i've heard of similar issues before.... definitely get your mechanic to check out the CV joint and make sure there's no pebbles or rocks stuck anywhere in around that wheel.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had an issue about a year and a half ago in my '06 Executive, the CV joint i think it was in the front right had come out of place a little bit and when i'd be doing a sharp turn like a 3 point turn for example i'd hear a big grinding type sound. wasn't a vibration as such, just a grinding sound, and like your issue it didn't happen all the time it was only occasionally if i was turning slowly if i made a quick turn i heard nothing.......It could be a CV joint or a pebble or rock stuck in where the break pads and rotors are too... i've heard of similar issues before.... definitely get your mechanic to check out the CV joint and make sure there's no pebbles or rocks stuck anywhere in around that wheel.

No CV's in the front of these mate.....So rule that out

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
The right hand side is under more load when turning left, so it could be a wheel bearing on the way out. Any half-decent mechanic should pick that up. Also it could be a damaged rim. I would swap the 2 front wheels over to eliminate that as the cause. Hope it's simple.Good luck.