Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel removal, stuck

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I looked at that and it seemed to be a fixed position but I will have another look tonight.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the column has collapsed if you hit the shaft removing the wheel, possibly why the bottom bearing is moving .

Might have to wriggle the lower shaft I wonder if I have pushed on the bearing two days ago when I was trying to pull back on the wheel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might have to wriggle the lower shaft I wonder if I have pushed on the bearing two days ago when I was trying to pull back on the wheel.
Bearing is fine. The shaft is still centred inside the housing and the race is not hanging out, like it was before I rebuilt the column a couple of years ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will add I have just noticed that the spot where the shaft rubs on the boot changes with the turning of the wheel. Now the spot where it's touching has rotated clockwise 90deg.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone have any advice on what I can try? I'm not wanting to remove the steering wheel again as it's a bastard to get back on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Some news on this I have just worked out what the click is. The click was being caused my the ground strap that sits near the firewall hitting on the clamp that sits on the inside of the firewall.

Now that just leaves one slight problem and it's the steering shaft rubbing on the boot making a squeak. It wasn't doing it previously so I am reluctant to just spray it with WD or silicone and hope for the best. I don't know if the boot has any adjustment or not?