Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel shaking at around 60~80!

AlexJun

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy s series 2.
Hi guys recently i've installed 19inch rims with new tyres(245/35/19) and while i was driving in the freeway to test it out. The steering wheel started to go apeshit at 60to 80ish km. the company i got it from balanced them out before they shiped it to me. i donno if they've done a dodgy job on the wheel balance or tyre allignment?
Any ideas on the fix guys?
Thanks alot.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Fitting larger rims with lower profile tyres makes everything more sensitive. You get a lot more feedback through your wheel. It will be a combination of balance and wheel alignment. Having larger rims needs a different toe setting.

AlexJun

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy s series 2.
Thanks guys. i've just got it checked at a beaurepaires... and they showed me what the problem was and it was the tyres... the tyre brand is called forceum hexa(some cheap **** crap the company put on with the rims) and it seemed that it didnt roll on a perfect circle... so that was causing the steering wheel to go crazy.
better put on some quality tyres when the budget alows me
Thanks fellas.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Spin up all 4 tyres and put the worst on the back and smoke them up to even them out.

May or may not work but youll have fun trying.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Do you require hub rings with the new rims? If so it may be that, never heard of a new tyre being out of round, should be a warranty thing if it is

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No the VE rim has a smaller hole that needs to be machined out to fit VT-VZ.

EDIT: Ignore me Im getting my threads mixed up.

AlexJun

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy s series 2.
Yea i was leaning towards that... too but the problem is i've been stupid and rammed the rings not inside the aftermarket rim itself but on the rotar part thats sticking out if you get what i mean :S... so yeah im in a situation to get some more rings. but i donno what size and where to get em from... you have any places where i can aquire them?
Do you require hub rings with the new rims? If so it may be that, never heard of a new tyre being out of round, should be a warranty thing if it is

AlexJun

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy s series 2.
HAHA good idea! but yeah istill gotta try and figure out whether if it actually is the out of round tyres or the hub centric ring that i've misinstalled... i know the fellas in beaurepairs said to me the tyres are out of round. but i don't know if thats enough to get my steering wheel to go apeshit left and right sort of like a wobble motion left and right constantly at speeds 60~80.
Spin up all 4 tyres and put the worst on the back and smoke them up to even them out.

May or may not work but youll have fun trying.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The wheel will locate on the studs and find it's own centre.

It is pretty common for a tyre to be out of round, but it's more of a bead seat issue. The best thing to do first is to let them all down, break the beads, lube them up with the appropriate lubrication, and inflate them without the valve core in them up to about 60 psi to make sure the beads are seated properly. Then let them all the way down, fit the valve core and inflate them to the correct pressure. Spin them up again to see if they are improved.