Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Vibration

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
The thread still going? My VX is doing it, but has only 38,000 on it so i am thinking its in great condition, and as such normal. steering racks don't wear out by 38,000....

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Strut top bushes. Even at only 38,000km the rubber has probably hardened and split/collapsed due to old age.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I had a vibration in my sterring wheel, it was only at about 70 + km/h, if you took your hands of the wheel you could see it vibrating and it was pretty bad. It would give you dead/tingly arms if your drove on a big trip. I had about 100 wheel balances and alignments, thinking all the workshops were ****. It was my suspension or brakes. Everything was replaced. It turned out to be my front tires. They wernt **** cheap ones eiether, almost brand new and a performance tire. I found this out when i put my new wheels on and it didn't do it anymore

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi everyone, I am new to this, but I have a 2002 VY Supercharged Calais and have the same power steering problem, Put up with for a while, and then got the rack replaced [also because it was weeping] and the problem disappeared, and then re-appeared a short while later, replaced the tyres because they were worn out and fixed the shuddering for a little while. I read in a blog some time ago to change the oil and check to make sure the PS reservoir wasn't starving the pump from oil, I did read somewhere that the filter in the PS reservoir can get clagged, however I purchased a new OEM one from eBay and new oil from Supercheap Auto, used compressed air to blow all [most] of the old oil out of the system, installed the new reservoir and oil and that fixed for a while, so now it has re-appeared again, so I am going to try the replacement hose, that was mentioned earlier. Then see how it goes.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just rang Repco [Moorabbin Victoria] and they have the "High Pressure Power Steering Hose - Holden Part number 92174786" in stock, for $95, I am going to give it a go, because I am sick of the steering groaning when trying to park, and reverse into my garage. I will update this blog with a result.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Hose they had was the Standard GM Hose, so I had to go to the General :(

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd be checking all of the bushes in the front end and then if need be the state of the steering rack and the steering column bushes.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had the front end done by Pedders when they put the rack in because the front bushes were no good, so one would think Pedders would of done it properly, thinking is was a rack problem, but came back after a short period, took it back to pedders and they said it the Pump, so I changed the Pump, but again it came back after a little while, so I bit the bullet, and purchased the hose from Booran Holden in Cheltenham, not cheap mind you, but took about 2 hours to install it, I did it properly and took my time, and worked perfectly, installing the new hose was a bit of pain, but take your time and its just like a jigsaw, I must say power steering oil is so messy, all I can say, is that I should of don't it years ago. :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had the front end done by Pedders when they put the rack in because the front bushes were no good, so one would think Pedders would of done it properly, thinking is was a rack problem, but came back after a short period, took it back to pedders and they said it the Pump, so I changed the Pump, but again it came back after a little while, so I bit the bullet, and purchased the hose from Booran Holden in Cheltenham, not cheap mind you, but took about 2 hours to install it, I did it properly and took my time, and worked perfectly, installing the new hose was a bit of pain, but take your time and its just like a jigsaw, I must say power steering oil is so messy, all I can say, is that I should of don't it years ago. :)

Lost me mate....You don't remove the rack to do any bushes. So I don't understand the issue