Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Stock intake limitations

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yea I've been thinking of just going a scoop on my VS ute with the TP high dual. I'm going alloy heads no matter what even if I have to wait and save and pull my iron heads and redo the gaskets.

But then I saw BG engines and their intakes and thought well if I'm cutting holes then I may as well make a big one :p

Speaking to ol mate at Torque Power( which others have said) Alloy heads = yes well.
Not even max porting etc.
Interested =see what it turns up.
But peronaly eventually want a hard hitting VS ute = not ground breaking
Afstruct, why not just add a side mount. That way you'll keep it original by just unbolting a few things and putting it back to stock. I think you will find the real value in a HSV is keeping it as original as possible, if you want to sell it one day.

Yeah I understand will be worth more stock but it's mine and hopefully a long way off not being mine .
Trust me I've thought of a vortex and my thoughts cycle threw all the different options but I pretty much come back to I want a NA engine for this after all I have a supercharger on the monaro.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hit me up if think of selling starr manifold for decent price...wanted one ever since I was a kid lol

I've had wild n/a 355 setup & also stock to mild n/a 304...yeah they're farking cool to have but annoying when can't use 450hp n/a car like it should be driven.

come single plane with kfame spacer will get single plane under bonnet...wouldn't worry about stock engine bay look when see/hear 450-500hp n/a stroker idle

One issue I have with under the bonnet dual planes or singles is other than screwing up suspension geometry, you have a filter sucking in hot air.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes but you cant take 6mm (3mm off each side) off a 5mm wall. It just doesn't add up

41+5+5= 51. 47 is doable if there is 51 there.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Speaking to ol mate at Torque Power( which others have said) Alloy heads = yes well.
Not even max porting etc.
Interested =see what it turns up.
But peronaly eventually want a hard hitting VS ute = not ground breaking

Yeah I understand will be worth more stock but it's mine and hopefully a long way off not being mine .
Trust me I've thought of a vortex and my thoughts cycle threw all the different options but I pretty much come back to I want a NA engine for this after all I have a supercharger on the monaro.

I like NA for the sound and the way they drive.
I'm a mechanic by trade so I test drive lots of cars and sometimes you have to give a car a bit of throttle to find issues.
Boosted cars make good power but can be very bland.
Still to this day the most fun car that I have driven was a old late 80's MR2 with coilovers and rose joined suspension with a fairly stock engine.
Hitting tight apex corners in 2nd then revving right out redline then bashing 3rd in is fun even though it's slow.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
41+5+5= 51. 47 is doable if there is 51 there.

OK, but then you can't take anything off the runners either side of it.. you have 2.5mm of wall to share per runner. Your calculations are bearly ok for front and back runners.

Wall runner wall runner wall runner
5 .......... 41 .......... 5 ........ 41 ........ 5 ........ 41
Make sense?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
OK, but then you can't take anything off the runners either side of it.. you have 2.5mm of wall to share per runner. Your calculations are bearly ok for front and back runners.

Wall runner wall runner wall runner
5 .......... 41 .......... 5 ........ 41 ........ 5 ........ 41
Make sense?

It's like this.
5 .........41 ......... 5.5 ........ 41 .......... 5.5 ....... 41

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Afstruct, why not just add a side mount. That way you'll keep it original by just unbolting a few things and putting it back to stock. I think you will find the real value in a HSV is keeping it as original as possible, if you want to sell it one day.
I realise that afstruct has already replied.
But I would say I recommend he do whatever he wants (tastefully) so he is happy with it. And if ever he does choose to sell, then the buyer can get what he's given or piss off and find another.
You shouldn't really build a car for what some other jockey might want.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
It's like this.
5 .........41 ......... 5.5 ........ 41 .......... 5.5 ....... 41
yes so how can you reduce it by 6mm when you have 5.5 to work with Max is 4mm so 44mm not 47mm

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I realise that afstruct has already replied.
But I would say I recommend he do whatever he wants (tastefully) so he is happy with it. And if ever he does choose to sell, then the buyer can get what he's given or piss off and find another.
You shouldn't really build a car for what some other jockey might want.
I was merely posing an option. I too don't build car to suit a new owner, but something like a HSV will likely reap a better financial reward if kept stockish. It was just a suggestion. Being a VS Maloo it has a special place in my heart.