Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock SSV Tune / power delivery

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
I have my SS booked in for a MAF tune. The guy doing it said it's a crock going mafless unless you are going to put a supercharger on it. The stock MAF will flow well enough for 480rwkw and i don't plan on getting that much out of it. Plus apparently you can get a sweeter tune with the MAF hooked up. I have a pod type CAI and a 2 1/2" exhaust with hurricane extractors and hi flow cats. That on it's own made a HUGE difference! the guy that's doing the dyno said they are getting 50 extra rwhp on just CAI and standard exhaust. I should get a bit more than that with the exhaust as well.
Time will tell!! I'll be happy to get at the rears what they get standard at the engine.

a little off topic... but you can see why a half decent exhaust makes a huge difference!! i couldn't get over the amount of constriction in the stock manifolds!!

320287_2468944332330_1514007689_2691091_1883293942_n.jpg

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have my SS booked in for a MAF tune. The guy doing it said it's a crock going mafless unless you are going to put a supercharger on it. The stock MAF will flow well enough for 480rwkw and i don't plan on getting that much out of it. Plus apparently you can get a sweeter tune with the MAF hooked up. I have a pod type CAI and a 2 1/2" exhaust with hurricane extractors and hi flow cats. That on it's own made a HUGE difference! the guy that's doing the dyno said they are getting 50 extra rwhp on just CAI and standard exhaust. I should get a bit more than that with the exhaust as well.
Time will tell!! I'll be happy to get at the rears what they get standard at the engine.

Whilst the MAF may flow that much power, the moment you fit even the mildest cam pulses back up the intake from said cam will cause the readings to go haywire and thus a mafless tune will be needed. I believe it's because of an aggressive cam that the VX GTS was mafless.

Reaper

GenFree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67 S
hmmm,the only people I know of that wont touch mafless are the ones not so confident in their tuning abilitys.

The guy aboves tuners response is a little worrying tbh,techos will know what I mean.

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Whilst the MAF may flow that much power, the moment you fit even the mildest cam pulses back up the intake from said cam will cause the readings to go haywire and thus a mafless tune will be needed. I believe it's because of an aggressive cam that the VX GTS was mafless.

Reaper

he did mention a cam messing with it...... i'm not fitting a cam, so it's all good :)

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
hmmm,the only people I know of that wont touch mafless are the ones not so confident in their tuning abilitys.

The guy aboves tuners response is a little worrying tbh,techos will know what I mean.

he said nothing about not touching mafless... he stated that you can get just as good a tune for what i have with the maf than removing it.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Just got my car tuned at Enhanced Automotive with my KPM OTR fitted.
Went from 189rwkw to 210rwkw, which seems a little down from what other have gotten. But i havent driven the car yet, just gotta wait till the misses gets home in it.

R60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
For a bit of a comparisson, mine started at 188rwkw and with HSV headers (standard exhaust),hi flo filter and tuned to 95 oct went to 237rwkw. A very nice increase. If I wanted a bit more rwkw tuned on 98 oct and fit a OTR for approx.10-15rwkw. Very satisfied with the result, the car was tuned by Pulse Racing at Menai, Sydney.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Nice, were the HSV headers an easy bolt-on installation? Also did it make the standard cat-back exhaust louder?

R60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Yes, I just got the local muffler business to fit them, I forgot to add that it was HSV headers and HSV cats so it bolted straight up with no problems or fault codes. It did not make the system any louder, not that I could notice anyway. I'm over loud systems these days.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Nice work, yeah Im over loud exhausts to mate. I want more power but want it to be similar to stock in most ways.
I just took it for a drive & it definitely seems more powerful over 3k rpm, but very similar down low.