Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Straight Cuts

IsseiHuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais
G’day, So i have two VE V6 Calais both Autos as well, One is a daily driver and another is a Track,

Im currently in the works of trying to upgrade the Transmission without replacing it as i want to keep the gear select in the car and I don’t want to switch it to manual as I don’t have my Manual license as its still roadworthy (For now) so i want to be able to drive it on the road if my daily ever plays up,

Now my Question is, Is there anything i could do to the transmission to prevent it going kapoot when i upgrade the engine further? And/or am i able to straight cut the gears and what are the Pros and Cons behind it if Possible??

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the 5 speed auto can barely handle the torque from a stock 3.0 litre

IsseiHuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais
the 5 speed auto can barely handle the torque from a stock 3.0 litre
Is there anything i could do to upgrade it? Bc from what I’ve heard is that the Transmission can barely handle 350hp hence the upgrades

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
change to a 6 speed auto or manual
either choice a shitload of money
Is there anything i could do to upgrade it? Bc from what I’ve heard is that the Transmission can barely handle 350hp hence the upgrades
closer to 250hp

IsseiHuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais
change to a 6 speed auto or manual
either choice a shitload of money

closer to 250hp
Does the 6 Speed have the Gear select bc i really do need it and I can’t have manual as I don’t have my Manual license

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
what do you mean by gear select
a manual valvebody or paddle shifters

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Professional rebuilders can’t even guarantee a stock rebuild will last more than a couple of years as the 5L40E is difficult to rebuild reliably. Just ask @Fu Manchu who had an expensive rebuild grenade itself again in short order.

A 5L40E is the worst possible Commodore automatic transmission that you could take to the track. Either run it into the ground and buy something else to track or keep the track car so you’ve got a spare 5L40E for when the one in your daily driver craps itself because 5L40Es are rare as rocking horse shite and expensive to rebuild.

Also the torque converter clutch is a wear item and will destroy the transmission so best to replace that if it’s not been done before. I found that out the hard way on my old SV6 when the transmission decided to have a glitter party and eventually stop working.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L