Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Straight Cuts

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Manual swap it. We would have done that in hind sight.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Can’t, I only have my Auto License and i want to be able to drive it if my daily ever fails

A 5L40E isn’t going to last very long in a track car anyway so it’s going to fail before your daily driver does. Either run the track car into the ground on the transmission that’s in it or get a new car to track.

You won’t convert the transmission to a different one as it would be too difficult to achieve. The 5L40E is electronically controlled using an external controller and the 6L50E from the later Commodore is controlled with a controller that is inside the gearbox. So two different wiring schemes and different controllers types.

The electronically controlled nature of the automatic makes it difficult to change transmission if not impossible. Ironically it would be easier to convert the car to an automatic if it was already a manual as you could just throw a “dumb” T400 old school transmission in a manual car and the computer wouldn’t think anything had changed.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

IsseiHuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais
A 5L40E isn’t going to last very long in a track car anyway so it’s going to fail before your daily driver does. Either run the track car into the ground on the transmission that’s in it or get a new car to track.

You won’t convert the transmission to a different one as it would be too difficult to achieve. The 5L40E is electronically controlled using an external controller and the 6L50E from the later Commodore is controlled with a controller that is inside the gearbox. So two different wiring schemes and different controllers types.

The electronically controlled nature of the automatic makes it difficult to change transmission if not impossible. Ironically it would be easier to convert the car to an automatic if it was already a manual as you could just throw a “dumb” T400 old school transmission in a manual car and the computer wouldn’t think anything had changed.
Could try to rewire the controller to work with the og, Would be a pain but it would be beneficial in the long term

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could try to rewire the controller to work with the og, Would be a pain but it would be beneficial in the long term
You would have to rewire it and reprogram the computer. Not an easy task by any means and requires someone who knows what they are doing and has done it before.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If you managed to do this, you would be re-writing Commodore history.
There have been many that have tried before.

I really don't get what you are trying to do? I mean I get you want to run it on a track, but thats going to grenade in a day. There's a $6-8k recon and it won't be a good one.

It is easier to do a 6L80e conversion on an older Commodore. There is quite a bit on these conversions now here on the forum, just not on a series 1 VE. The CANbus networks are too complicated. You could do it if you rewire the car and design new modules for the task, or buy a smashed series 2, totally strip both the cars bare and swap it all over into yours giving you the direct injection engine and 6 speed auto. Or you could sell yours and just buy a series 2.

You straight out have the wrong car for the task.