Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Straight Cuts

IsseiHuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais
Professional rebuilders can’t even guarantee a stock rebuild will last more than a couple of years as the 5L40E is difficult to rebuild reliably. Just ask @Fu Manchu who had an expensive rebuild grenade itself again in short order.

A 5L40E is the worst possible Commodore automatic transmission that you could take to the track. Either run it into the ground and buy something else to track or keep the track car so you’ve got a spare 5L40E for when the one in your daily driver craps itself because 5L40Es are rare as rocking horse shite and expensive to rebuild.

Also the torque converter clutch is a wear item and will destroy the transmission so best to replace that if it’s not been done before. I found that out the hard way on my old SV6 when the transmission decided to have a glitter party and eventually stop working.
Ah, I prefer to keep the car as long as possible as I’ve done a fair bit already but would there be any other auto transmission i can swap it out for?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Would you know the Trans Name?? Also is there anything else i would need to fit it on the Calais?
It's brand name is Aisin, not sure of the model number.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Reactions: Lex