Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strange roadworthy issue

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by rob drag racer, Apr 16, 2009.

1. rob drag racer

rob drag racer vn vp drag nut

Members Ride:
    vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
    today as i was returning home i had an officer pull me up to inform me that my tacho had to be removed as it was to shiny to have on my dash or piller how its shiny i dont know (its mat silver) but apparently its enough to make any car un roadworthy

ya learn something new every day i told him i would paint it black and would that be ok he let me go without a straight answer but i geaus it wont be shiny then

2. DavoVP

DavoVP New Member

i call a poor excuse to haras someone.

3. lil_mickey

lil_mickey LOUD AND PROUD

Members Ride:
    VH 253 :-)
    I have heard of this before but i think that it was with a chrome tacho...

Maybe he thought yours was chrome until you mensioned that you would paint it...

lol prob felt to stupid to answer you...

4. rob drag racer

Members Ride:
    im not complaining he was nice about it he all so said he was looking for someone that fitted my description and the cars description for driving drunk and un regoed but yeh the tacho was his reason for the lights and sirens he took my info and assured me that if i fix the tacho he would never bother me again as well as any of the other police as long as i stayed on the right side of the law

just gos to show ya do all the right things including race on a strip not a street and thay still find a reason never had this problem in my fairlane oh well as i say im not complaining after all its his job

LOL its still stupid

5. VrWagz1

VrWagz1 The Wagon on Wheels..

Members Ride:
    VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
    It is a rule, pretty sure its a adr rule more than a state based rule though. But basically yeah nothing shiny on the dash and there is limits on how bright the lights are also on the tacho back lighting, which i think most "performance like" flashy tachos fail there too but its never picked up.

6. Morton

Morton For external use only

Members Ride:
    Fairstar the Funship
    I was always under the impression that any additional gauges or dials had to be installed below the level of the car's original dashboard cluster, so as not to provide a driver distraction, or interfere with visibility.

7. PaRaDoX

PaRaDoX Because Racecouch...

Members Ride:
    none
    sounds right to me, i have my gauges up my pillar because its easiest for me to see without taking my eyes off the road, you dont need a massive tacho... lol fit a Level 2 cluster and be done with it, only reason i have gauges is my dash boost gauge is measured funny and dosnt go very high. and my boost controller doubles as a digital boost gauge

8. STEALTHY™

STEALTHY™ So Wet For You!

Members Ride:
    VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
    Keep in mind the law about nothing protruding from the dash that is in the contact zone of any passengers.....Thats why your not allowed a tacho.

9. rob drag racer

Members Ride:
    he said the position was fine just the fact it was silver but i spose this is one of the things that's up to a cops decision and i put this tacho in because i already had it and dont want to wast money on a new cluster

10. Ozzie

Ozzie JCCC Warrnambool

Members Ride:
    Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
    youve got a monster tacho in a v6 vp on gas and let me guess..... its an auto?

or is this tacho on a drag car?

11. rob drag racer

Members Ride:
    was on the drag car put it into the road car so i can tell what the engine is doing im pickier like that and the km i do it helps and no its not a monster tacho and yes its auto so shoot me for wanting to know what my engine is doing

look i drive by tacho for the most part as i did with my fairlane and my car before that (long distance) either way i dont have to give you a reason why i have one i have it and dont care what anyone sez about it i use mine not just have it to look like a moron ricer and by the way Ozzie if you dont care what your engine is doing at revs id love to see your engine out last mine

12. VryNeat

VryNeat New Member

Members Ride:
    VL EXEC
    his cluster has a tacho a stock tacho that looks better and not rice coz its in the cluster:)

13. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    Ozzie has a vt, which has a tacho as stock fitment.

14. Morton

Members Ride:
    Fairstar the Funship
    It's quite possible that he's wrong about that :) I've been given incorrect information by police officers (including highway patrols) on numerous occasions. Always do the research yourself :)

15. rob drag racer

Members Ride:
    thats the point i dont have one stock so i use what i have im on a limited income so 80 + $ for a upgrade cluster dont work bottom line i dont care i use it for what tachos where built for and the day Ozzie pays for a new cluster for it i will stop using a run of the mill tacho

thanks morton and yeh i checked today and against the piller on the drivers side is fine as long as its not chrome

and thanks to all the guys input here about the issue and i dont meen any disrespect about what i said to Ozzie i just get tired of being baged because i cant afford a car thats 10 grand plus

16. VryNeat

VryNeat New Member

Members Ride:
    VL EXEC
    u could sell ur tacho to get a new cluster???? there was a fella on here looking to buy one for his project car, ozzies car could be bought for like 5k and thats here in W.A

17. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    neither can i, but i managed to buy a lvl2 cluster for mine. nor did i pay $80+.

just had a quick look on ebay, theres a few vn/p clusters on there, not one is over $65

it might work for you, but as you found out today, they attract unwanted attention. depending on the cop, next time might see your car with a nice yellow sticker just for looking at him the wrong way.

if you dont care about possibly being pulled over for it again, by all means, leave it there. personally, id keep my eye out for a cheap l2 cluster to drop in. even watch for one with a broken speedo, and just swap the internals from yours.

18. Morton

Members Ride:
    Fairstar the Funship
    Just for interest's sakes Rob, you should be able to pick up a L2 cluster for $50 :) I just bought one for a mate's VP wagon that he wanted a tacho on :)

19. centy

centy New Member

Members Ride:
    Vp series 2
    I'm sure there is a adr rule about how much someting can be reflective on a vehicle.
    I know mirrored window tint is out for the reflection as well as it being to dark, unless it is that crappy and unreflective that you would not want it.

There are many funny little rules.
    Like here in QLD a car with SURFACE RUST on any suspension component is unroadworthy.
    Yes surface rust.

20. STEALTHY™

STEALTHY™ So Wet For You!

Members Ride:
    VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
    My 5 inch tacho comes standard....

[​IMG]