Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] stroked or camed?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh can get a cam to suit a strocker at later date that will be suitable in the meantime and produce good power with no comprimise, HRT666 mentioned a good cam to me for a standard bottom end that will also work well with a 383 strocker down the track, but if you want go a good cam and head package now and then when or if you want to later on do a strocker kit, and depends how long you want your car of the road too, i think cam and head packages are like a week at the most and a strocker kit would be of the road for how ever long it takes.

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
4 into 1 stainless steal headers (1 ¾ inch primary’s with 3 inch outlet)
2.5 inch Redback Hi flow Cats
2.5 inch twin supercat catback exhaust with no resi

i would probably get cam put in first as well

Cheers

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
yeh can get a cam to suit a strocker at later date that will be suitable in the meantime and produce good power with no comprimise, HRT666 mentioned a good cam to me for a standard bottom end that will also work well with a 383 strocker down the track, but if you want go a good cam and head package now and then when or if you want to later on do a strocker kit, and depends how long you want your car of the road too, i think cam and head packages are like a week at the most and a strocker kit would be of the road for how ever long it takes.

I did not realise it took so long. I would not mind if it was out of action for a bit, I would just have to drive my mums Suzuki :( lol

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
wouldn't take that long, that would be worst case scenario depending how busy the work shop is, tunning, etc, i think enhanced said drive in, drive out same day for cam package.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh all good, i saw your thing said Adelaide and i know he's in Adelaide, he's one of the sponsors on here too, but yeh give him a call even just for a rough quote now and what they'd recommend for jsut cam and head package and for cam and head package to maybe suit strocker down the track and let them know what you have now and go from there and will give you a guide of what you need and how much.

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
id say a 383 would be closer to 10g. It depends on what your budget is. With a stroker you will get alot more torque then just a cam only ls1 and torque is what you want kw only wins dyno comps. Hav you thought of going a create engine ls2/98/3

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
Well if it’s going to cost 10 grand to get it stroked I might look into that even, I mean cant you get a crate engine for like 6 grand brand new anyway? well I think I saw an add in a magazine for around that price.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
If you go to brad from enhanced and ask for a stroker, he will definetly tell you to go for the ls3 conversion. He been doing a few ls3 conversions and with cam only and getting 340rwkw on a low reading dyno. but your talking 12000ish bucks. He will charge around 6 for head and cam and ull be looking at around 300 on his dyno with an auto. But I reckon ull get 2 weeks out of it before your box packs it in. If you go cam only on the engine you got, your box will be safer, and you will be more then happy with the power.