Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strong fuel smell in my VP

cris_001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore Executive S2
Hey Guys,

I'm new to holdens in general but i just got a Vp commy exec series 2 and for some reason everytime i turn it on and drive it the inside of the car starts smelling really badly like fuel. I have no idea what it could be but i really want to find out to get it fixed or fix it myself ASAP. If anyone who knows about VP's could help me it would be amazing.... to say the least.

thanks guys
Cris.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
The typical problem here is that the breather lines around the fuel tank filler pipe are perished. One indicator is that the problem is worse on a full tank. There have been recent diagrams of the breather line set-up , I think, in the VR VS section.
I have also experienced a strong fuel smell in the cab (of a VP) when the fuel pressure regulator failed. It is on the end of the fuel rail and when the internal diaphragm fails it sucks excess fuel into the inlet manifold instead of sending it back to the fuel tank. This won't be affected by the level in the fuel tank. It will result in very poor fuel economy.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Also, check to see the filler cap is done up snug, and in good condition.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
On my car where the fuel injectors go into the fuel rails there is an O-ring around each injector. They go bad and allow fuel to dribble down the outside of the injector. Could only smell it when stopped at the lights. My bonnet does not sit right down at the back so under bonnet air sneaks out and straight into the vent and into the car. When driving along the air rushing past doesn't allow this so couldn't smell it.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
my vp recently had a fuel smell coming into the car when driving. i actually sniffed it out like a bloodhound, was coming from the engine bay and wafting into the cabin when driving. was a loose hose clamp on the delivery hose to the fuel rail. i tightened it and havent had the problem since.

you just have to find out where its coming from. id grab and wiggle the all the hoses to and from your fuel rail while the car is running and see if you get any thing spurting out...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Jack it up and rip the rear drivers wheel off, if you can see fuel stains anywhere there and around the tank then the breather hoses are cactus.
Alternatively, after you fill it with fuel and park with the passenger side wheels up on a gutter and drivers side on the road (so it's on an angle) and there's a pool of petrol under the back... same thing but more of a pain as you have to drain the tank fully to fix it.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
To check the fuel pressure regulator you pull the little vacuum hose off that operates the diaphragm and see if the inside of the hose is wet with fuel or smells of fuel. Easy.
Is any of this helping?