Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Stuck with new Valve Springs

JayBear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hey guys, I got some new valve springs and retainers for my Ecotec V6, but can’t find anybody who’ll fit them for me without taking the heads off. I’d really like to avoid having the heads off, machined etc. I’m from the Hunter/Newcastle NSW area.

I know a few people here have done this job themselves over the years and there’s no shortage of guides to do it yourself, but I’m just not comfortable doing it, I’d rather somebody who’s done it before tackle it. So I was wondering if there’s anybody around who thinks they could help me out? I’d really appreciate it.

Otherwise I’m probably going to sell my 1.98 rockers since my stock springs will probably snap with them fitted.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hey guys, I got some new valve springs and retainers for my Ecotec V6, but can’t find anybody who’ll fit them for me without taking the heads off. I’d really like to avoid having the heads off, machined etc. I’m from the Hunter/Newcastle NSW area.

I know a few people here have done this job themselves over the years and there’s no shortage of guides to do it yourself, but I’m just not comfortable doing it, I’d rather somebody who’s done it before tackle it. So I was wondering if there’s anybody around who thinks they could help me out? I’d really appreciate it.

Otherwise I’m probably going to sell my 1.98 rockers since my stock springs will probably snap with them fitted.
I know its been months since you posted this, but what did you end up doing ? I have 1.98 on old 400 grand springs. Not to say it won't do anything but the MACE type are meant to maintain close to original harmonics albeit the extra lift. I did snap springs many years ago with 1.95 YT rockers after 75,000km. I installed them with 150,000 on the engine. The YT rockers are lighter as well so may have changed things up. They also flex less which may make things more rigid. Lifters is where the most pressure will be so replacing them may be helpful.

Doing the springs yourself is quite easy, you insert rope into the cylinder at TDC and make sure you cant turn over engine anymore. Better than the compressor method as they can fail and drop air. But changing springs will need a new timing chain upgrade. Doing that makes the rockers pointless and may as well install a mild cam or a Cam to work with the 1.98 ratio rockers like the one from Crow. Getting a set of heads and putting on springs is another but heads for these things mot cheap anymore.

Last edited: