Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SUB + AMP Solution

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Got a VN Wagon & I've had my battery run flat 3 times in the past 2 weeks, whilst working outside. Running a 1000W Kenwood monoblock powering a 1200W Kenwood amp. The sad thing is after the first time it went flat (I got about 5 hours playing time first time before it went flat) then the two times proceeding after charging the batter overnight it only lasts about an hour before my VN goes flat. VERY confused. Do I need a Capacitor to play my sub + amp on accessories for LONG periods of time, OR do I just need to invest in a DECENT battery.
Name brands and your experience with them would be wonderful!

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Have the car running?

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
buy a cheap cd player and use that instead?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Please quote RMS wattage values of gear (although I don't think Kenwood even publish them on half their products), Max power values are useless.

A good battery will go a long way, a normal car battery is not meant to be constantly drained down to the point where it won't work. Never use a capacitor, pieces of junk.

Recommended batteries:

Optima D34
Deka Intimidator

Last edited:

v6nutz_2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
A good battery is always something you need when you upgrade the stereo in a car, especially when running amps. Im running a Century Ultra-Hi performance battery and feel this isnt enough (running 2 amps though). Optima batteries have a good reputation.
A capacitor WILL NOT stop your battery being drained, it just makes sure your amp has enough voltage with short bursts of bass

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
A decent battery will help but do you really need a sub for music for 5 hours? Probably better off wiring a switch from the remote wire and switching the amp and sub off if your going to play your stereo for long periods.

Topdo9

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SII
A decent battery will help but do you really need a sub for music for 5 hours? Probably better off wiring a switch from the remote wire and switching the amp and sub off if your going to play your stereo for long periods.

If the remote wire is hardwired it will flatten it everytime... Had a Hilux with a truck battery and the remote wire looped off the amp and battery would die all the time...

troykinsvt

yes i like fibreglassing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
the remote wire (usually bluewire ) is what drained my power ...i thought it was remote as in a remote control , its actually used for the cd /head unit to tell the amp when to shut of , i had mine hooked up wrong , also get a bigger battery as MAGGOO said

Optima D34 god battery , better price

i have a 660 cca battery now and get a few hours outta it

otherwise stop playing the radio for such a long time while the cars not running ...

second battery can help too possible an ultima yellow top