Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Submerged Evoke

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Nothing convenient in it, i just made a statement of fact that how much water entered the vehicle, how long the vehicle sat in the water, etc, wasn’t elaborated or detailed in the video. Water can sit for a short time above the bottom of the doors before the water gets in past yje door seals…

All they said was a throw away line or two towards the end of the video. And about the only interior shots that showed anything needing work was one of the headlining migrating towards the Bedouin tent interior style that many older cars seem to have.

You need to learn to read the thread you quoted

Again keep in mind that my post was in relation to the post of a near new Audi eTron being dunked … and dried out using tonnes of rice… which would make it a stat write off even in S.A. Yet your retort is a video of a >15 year old car as if that’s the definitive statement of the rules which would allow the Audi to be put back on the road. That’s simply not the case…

I‘ve linked to S.A. official docs so read them. You’ll learn the finer points of the rules… as I did w.r.t the >15 year threshold rule.

Interestingly, NSW RMS is similar to the S.A. rules (since they are moving/have moved to a nationally consistent process). So likely a vehicle >15 year old doesn’t need to be reported if water damage and hence can avoid being placed on WOVR as a statutory write off. Revealing is the fact you need RMS permission to even repair an economic write off. Even more revealing is the RMS requirements on insurance companies, owners and wreckers as to how such stat writeoff vehicles and handled. Page 29 of the following doc even lists what parts of a (salt or fresh) water damaged stat write off vehicle can even be on sold by a wrecker (where things like wiring looms can be on sold).

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Maybe S.A. has similar rules around spar parts of WOVR declaimed water damaged vehicles embedded in some other doc on the rego authorities web site, maybe the nationalised approach hasn’t been finalised yet. But it all needs to be seen for what it is, the removal of <15 year old water damaged vehicles and much of their components from the market ;)

[satire]
Who knowns, in 10 or 20 years time, the break point for notification to WOVR may be changed to >25 (or more) years old in the hope more vehicles will be crushed pushing more people into EV’s to save the environment :oops:
[/satire]

But this thread had run its course as I’m over it since we are covering the same ground we’ve covered in other threads :p

So it's gone from no car can be registered in Australia when in water because it should be placed on the WOVR register....Then it should be self reported or the insurance company should report it or they'll be in the poo...Then it must be over the sills to it must be over the sills for a particular time frame to the car is over 15 years old in S.A so it don't matter

Make up your mind will you

Truth is, you don't have a clue do you

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’m not too sure about the wisdom of resurrecting a water submerged car and it’s longer term reliability. I wanted to see what they did to the bodywork and electrical systems too but that wasn’t shown. So it’s a yeah, nah from me on that.

The engine rebuild was pretty impressive though, but I’m not sure about the idea of using secondhand pistons? I suppose if it works, it works.

As questionable and low-cost as this repair process was, I was pretty impressed that they still went to the trouble to use a torque wrench! :cool:

My personal opinion is, I wouldn't have bothered with it....Once water gets into electrics, to me, the car is cactus....

If you go into his channel, there is a few videos on this car, pre-swimming lesson.....

As for the torque wrench...Have to find out if he uses it on his wheels...You seem to have been the only one that said he uses it on your wheels, when you change them....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
But this thread had run its course as I’m over it since we are covering the same ground we’ve covered in other threads :p

From my limited experience, the course needs to be ran several times, over and over and over, before it is completely covered! :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So it's gone from no car can be registered in Australia when in water because it should be placed on the WOVR register....Then it should be self reported or the insurance company should report it or they'll be in the poo...Then it must be over the sills to it must be over the sills for a particular time frame to the car is over 15 years old in S.A so it don't matter

Make up your mind will you

Truth is, you don't have a clue do you
Why don’t you read the doc I linked to and then yo7 ll understand my comments.

I’ve been rather consistent and when i checked the doc. I even conceded that cars >15 years old aren’t or don’t have to be reported tomWOVR by insurance companies (or individuals is self insured). But like always, you just want to find fault, argue and insult forum members.

You sir (and I use the term loosely) are can sometimes behave like an idiot.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I driven through flood waters to get home in my old Jeep. I've even got stuck in water holes while wheeling and had to winch out and drive home with a pool of muddy water on my floor. All I did was pull out the carpet and hit it with the karcher and hanged it on the fence to dry.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Why don’t you read the doc I linked to and then yo7 ll understand my comments.

I’ve been rather consistent and when i checked the doc. I even conceded that cars >15 years old aren’t or don’t have to be reported tomWOVR by insurance companies (or individuals is self insured). But like always, you just want to find fault, argue and insult forum members.

You sir (and I use the term loosely) are can sometimes behave like an idiot.

Not insulting anyone.....

Pointing out all your inconsistancies which lead to confusion when it comes to particular topics

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

… youtubers…

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I driven through flood waters to get home in my old Jeep. I've even got stuck in water holes while wheeling and had to winch out and drive home with a pool of muddy water on my floor. All I did was pull out the carpet and hit it with the karcher and hanged it on the fence to dry.
Jeep submerges all vehicles coming off the end of their production-line in salty water.
It ensures the expected build-quality, Jeep buyers would be upset otherwise!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
P7d3b.gif
Your going to need some more popcorn!