Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
@Forg I’m curious what the fix is (as it’s not a new rack). Can you ask for a copy of the TSB or whatever they call the doc that specifies what the tech must do and what to change? Im also curious if the fix includes gold plated connectors.
It's a new motor :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's a new motor :)
Gold connector pins on the motor? Gold connector pins retrofitted on the wiring harness? Does anyone have the docs associated with this fix?

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Letter for our MY2014 Redline arrived today ... planning on booking with Alto Holden tomorrow.
It’s been a week since I booked in the car to get a few warranty fixes done, and they were going to contact me when the replacement tailgate trim arrived at the dealer, so can maybe get both done at once & get all the dealer-damage performed upon the car in one go!
Forg I'll be interested to hear how you get on at Alto Holden. I got my letter today for my MY15 and I to have to take it to them. These were the guys who kicked off the whole fuel injector debacle and had me pay for my second injector........ the rest is history as they sayo_O

I'll be calling them today to book it in.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I got my letter today for my MY15 and I have to take it to them... o_O
Why do you have to take it to Alto Holden?
I’ve always understood that any recall letter indicates the recall can be addressed at the dealer you usually service your vehicle at but you are free to take it to whatever dealer you want.

There is no “have to take it to XXX”... It’s your choice where you service your vehicle and by that token where you get warranty or recall work done.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Gold connector pins on the motor? Gold connector pins retrofitted on the wiring harness? Does anyone have the docs associated with this fix?

What do you think? I think it would be the same spec as your Motorsport.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'll see if I can remember to ask, but to be honest I won't do so if it looks like it's a total PITA for them (because it's hard enough to get 'em to keep their grotty paws off the titanium Alcantara without pissing them off as well).

The letter's at home, but it talks about electrical connections.

Because I'm spiralling my way 'round dealers further & further from home, going a bit further for the next one as each disappoints.
Alto still has some Unfinished Business, a tailgate trim that needs replacement & which they couldn't get in on the day I had it there.

The only one which didn't disappoint was the place we bought it from, where I took it for the 1500km check-up (and which we tied-in with a trip down the central highlands to justify driving 100km across Sydney to go to a dealer). But that 200km during peak-hours return trip is just too much of a hurdle while I'm still employed.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve always understood that any recall letter indicates the recall can be addressed at the dealer you usually service your vehicle at but you are free to take it to whatever dealer you want.

There is no “have to take it to XXX”... It’s your choice where you service your vehicle and by that token where you get warranty or recall work done.
Pretty much the same as what Forg said. I'm also assuming Alto either have the parts or are next in line to receive the parts as they have them down as my "Holden Servicing Dealer", and are the closest one to me. It really is pick your poison with Holden dealers isn't it:eek::eek::eek:.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Forg I'll be interested to hear how you get on at Alto Holden.
Oops, somehow I didn't see a whole bunch of other poasts, it looked like Skylarking was responding to me when I said the above.

I've had Alto do stuff in the past (wagon rear wiring harness recall), they were fine then, didn't wash the car when I asked them not to. Same last week when I had the horn fixed (loose connector at steering-wheel - caused when Hunter replaced the wheel due to leather trim delamination) and the tailgate switch seal reinstalled. They did that stuff in one day, Hunter needed me to come back because they didn't have the parts (seems odd Alto would have more parts just lying around - surely if you want to get parts, as a dealer, you can do exactly what indy mechanics in the main cities do & just get 'em delivered same-day?).
I also didn't have to reassemble the tailgate striker trim nor the steering wheel trim, unlike Hunter. They do appear to have gotten a little bit of grease on the driver's door titanium Alcantara trim (it's very slight, probably only lightly brushed it with a hand or elbow), fortunately they haven't tried to clean it off & make it worse (which reminds me - need to see if Car Care Products have anything to clean it carefully).

To be honest, I was really quite impressed with Camden Valley Holden. The cost of the rental for the day wasn't much at all (I think $45 for a base Cruze which isn't highway robbery for a 1-day rental IMHO - my guess is it'd be a Chinese-built Astra sedan at the moment) and it's perfect weather for a Southern Highlands day-trip. :) But it does mean taking a day off, which isn't optimal.

Back to Alto … be aware that Lane Cove West is a fork of a place to get in & out of by public transport, and the shuttle they provide has to go along peak-hour Epping Road so takes an interminable amount of time. They had service under the (now Benz) dealership up at Chatswood last time for me, which was easier to get in & out of. Next time I'm going to pre-book the Macquarie Park Keoride, if heading towards Chatswood or the CBD it's probably worth checking the 285 bus schedule (bus stops right outside their front door) as at least it gets bus lanes (and is pretty empty there so you'll get a seat).

Last edited:

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oops, somehow I didn't see a whole bunch of other poasts, it looked like Skylarking was responding to me when I said the above.

I've had Alto do stuff in the past (wagon rear wiring harness recall), they were fine then, didn't wash the car when I asked them not to. Same last week when I had the horn fixed (loose connector at steering-wheel - caused when Hunter replaced the wheel due to leather trim delamination) and the tailgate switch seal reinstalled. They did that stuff in one day, Hunter needed me to come back because they didn't have the parts (seems odd Alto would have more parts just lying around - surely if you want to get parts, as a dealer, you can do exactly what indy mechanics in the main cities do & just get 'em delivered same-day?).
I also didn't have to reassemble the tailgate striker trim nor the steering wheel trim, unlike Hunter. They do appear to have gotten a little bit of grease on the driver's door titanium Alcantara trim (it's very slight, probably only lightly brushed it with a hand or elbow), fortunately they haven't tried to clean it off & make it worse (which reminds me - need to see if Car Care Products have anything to clean it carefully).
Forg I was reasonably happy with Alto's services as I was actually getting my car serviced there whilst still under warranty.

I had a few things fixed (under warranty) during that period, but then once I had the injectors issue and they decided they would try and fleece me rather than be helpful and address the issue properly with Holden, that was it for me.