Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
She has. See in my post
Have your daughter take the car to whichever Holden dealer is the most convienient for.

Then as the car has been experiencing steering assistance failures, which makes the car unsafe to drive, she should remind that dealer service manager or dealer principle that it is a major fault under Australian Consumer Law. She should also remind them that she can not continue to drive a vehicle exhibiting this major fault as it is risking her insurance coverage and that of her children’s lives. As such she can not wait until mid year for a Holden kit to fix the major fault.

She should emphasise to the dealer that as a major fault under ACL she would be entitled to choose here remedy as the law allows. This includes choosing a full purchase price refund when a major fault occurs.

She should suggest to the dealer that it would be in Holden’s interest to authorise replacing the steering rack as resolution to this major fault and that Holden should provide a loan car as she can’t do without a safe car. She should emphasise tha it would be in every bodies interest that the dealer help expedite this with Holden.

A simple my car drives funny won’t get it fixed. She must be firm with these recalcitrant dealers.

Oh and suggesting Current Affairs showing a struggling mum pleading her difficulty in getting Holden to fix a major fault won’t be great national publicity for Holden or their dealer network.

Sit back in the dealers office and wait for a definitive answer. I think she may be surprised how quick their attitude changes.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Tried to find my VIN on the recall list but its not on there.
Mines a 2013 built MY14 model.

Does this mean mine wasn't affected at all or has it been done already in the past?

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Mines a 2013, which is not on the list either. Rack has been done already though, thankfully. I really can't understand why the first few months of vehicles are not on the list.

Last edited:

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Mines a 2013, which is not on the list either. Rack has been done already though, thankfully. I really can't understand why the first few months of vehicles are not on the list.
That is really strange that the 13's are not on the list you are right.
I went this morning through the list manually and couldn't see any 2013 models on there at all.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I got the letter for my sept 2013 evoke. Don’t hold me to it because its been a while since I’ve seen the list but I think the list is sorted by model year and 2013 vf’s are MY2014’s.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I got the letter for my sept 2013 evoke. Don’t hold me to it because its been a while since I’ve seen the list but I think the list is sorted by model year and 2013 vf’s are MY2014’s.
I just did the VIN check and mine didn't show.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I had the engine cut out in a BF falcon coming down a narrow winding road, (Pearl Beach to Umina) and consequently lost the power steering. It took a lot of effort to avoid the Armco and rock wall! It could have ended badly. I would want to avoid it happening again at all costs!
I've got my letter and now waiting.

I love Pearl Beach - My grandparents lived there until only a few years ago. I have quite a few fond memories of my nanna zipping around the road down to Pearl Beach in her old RX-3.

Anyway - a few years back our work Falcons had problems where the engine would just cut out while it was on cruise control. It scared the cr*p out of us trying to restart the car with the power steering not working.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
You get a letter from GM if your car is one on the list. I got the letter two weeks ago and it indicated the cars will be recalled over time and to wait for further notice.

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Driving last week and and noticed the steering wouldn't budge. Thought I had a flat but saw a little message saying "lost of power steering". Like previous posters, I had to use mass strength to pull car over and lucky there was no car around me and not my misses driving. Rang Holden and they said they are waiting for recall but I have booked the car in next week as I told them it's unsafe to drive and Blah blah blah... hope they will have the part to fix it next week. Now I'm scared to even go a little bit fast....From the guys who had it done, is it a day job???

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
It's a day job if they have the part. If you are waiting for for more than a week, I would be pushing them for a loan car or agree to pay for a hire car whilst you wait. Just me though..