Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Summernats 2011

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that they shouldn't let in standard cars period, even very lightly modded cars for that matter (just wheels and a chrome exhaust tip isn't enough, unless it's EXCEPTIONALLY well detailed). Seriously, if I wanted to go look at a bunch of standard cars, I'd go have a walk around my local shopping centre car park....The ONLY exceptions to the rule should be factory muscle cars (GT's, A9X/SLR 5000 Toranas, HK-T-G Monaros etc.) or totally restored classics. I go to Summernats to look at street machines, not stockers.

I reckon the last 2 times I've been, i would have looked at probably half of the show & shine, the other half i just walked straight past.

Sure, the entrant numbers would be a bit down on what they are now, but the quality of cars/the show would take a huge leap forward IMO.

Flame away...:p

i sumwhat agree. i am not driving my car around the cruise route because i do not deem it worthy. and i am not showing it off at all.
i am however entering the events purely for my own enjoyment.
plus i have never seen another clubby like mine.
im not trying to show off my bog stock (+sound system) R8 im just hear for the thrill and a good time.

i think you are reffering to ppl with **** thinking they are 'the ****'

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that they shouldn't let in standard cars period, even very lightly modded cars for that matter (just wheels and a chrome exhaust tip isn't enough, unless it's EXCEPTIONALLY well detailed). Seriously, if I wanted to go look at a bunch of standard cars, I'd go have a walk around my local shopping centre car park....The ONLY exceptions to the rule should be factory muscle cars (GT's, A9X/SLR 5000 Toranas, HK-T-G Monaros etc.) or totally restored classics. I go to Summernats to look at street machines, not stockers.

I reckon the last 2 times I've been, i would have looked at probably half of the show & shine, the other half i just walked straight past.

Sure, the entrant numbers would be a bit down on what they are now, but the quality of cars/the show would take a huge leap forward IMO.

Flame away...:p

Nothing to flame you about mate, I totally agree. But at the end of the day to the guys who run Summernats its a business and they want to make money. More entrants means more merchandise, more grog and more money. I've always said the Summernats should be this countries premier car show but it's let down by ######## drunk bogans and a lack of REAL cars. Even on the entry form it gives you a check list to make sure your car is worthy of being entered and despite that you still get Commodores and Falcons that have little more than a set of wheels, lowered springs and a loud exhaust system.

Chic Henry dug Summernats grave over the last 10 or 15 years when he did fark all to change the format. (Trust me, I know this for a fact... we have been working the burnout track since Summernats 9 and have only just got new shirts this year.) What worked back in the mid 90s doesn't work now and the new owners are going to struggle to change the shows image. I honestly think that this year will determine the future of the show. Next year is Summernats 25 which is apparently going to be massive but after that the future is up in the air. They are contracted for 2012 but after that it's anyones guess. I would love to see an increase in car quality but I doubt we will see it. Honestly, I'd hate to see the awesome cars in this country who don't turn up because of the **** house reputation Chic Henry has given the show.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I should also add that my car is only entered through the club that runs the track. My only reason is so that I can drive in the gates at 6:30 tomorrow, work and go home without having to worry about where my car is all day. I'll probably park it on the arena on Saturday while I walk around for a bit.. do a lap or two for the novelty of it and then go home ready to work all day Sunday. I've never considered my Stato a show worthy car and wouldn't even think of entering if I wasn't working there.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I will say that i wasn't aiming that at anyone in particular, in you case Troy, that's a completely valid argument. Anyone who works there should be granted free entry if they have a car that's nice. I don't mind walking past the ODD standard car provided it's immaculate and not just some shopping trolley that some bonehead has bought off Ebay put a pair of dinner plates on the front and stockies on the back (mabye a monster tacho if he's really keen :p) and entered....Which is what about 50% of the entries are.

It's promoted to be the be all, end all of street machine shows then it should be made to live up to it's name, because in reality it's not. Don't get me wrong, everytime i've been, i've had a ball but that's because only 1 time i've gone since i've been lincenced has been as a spectator. I will never ever go again as a spectator because it's pretty boring really.

I understand where you're coming from about it being a business, but the quicker the new owners pull there head out of the sand and realise that it's not all about the money, the quicker the show will move forward.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The spring nats is for every tom dick and harry to do a skid. The summernats should be left for the big boys.

That said, This year wasn't too bad for quality.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i dont mind seeing older (up to 70's) stock/mild cars entered purely because, where i live at least. u dont see near as many getting around as u used to a few years ago

i thought it was a good event this year. well worth the trip down there. some mates from qld who are used to powercruise type events came down for their 1st nats and loved it.

troy did the weather improve for the burnout comp on sunday? i wanted to stick around but had to take off early.. damn work commitments

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Nope, the weather was **** **** ****, well, did i mention ****. But didnt stop the burnouts..

Only one crash in the wet in the burnouts, which was an EH that smashed into a guard instantly, then blew its engine... Ahmed snapped an axle, and Gary in the mustang took out burnout masters, with Mick Brasher coming close second...

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I worked all Friday and it was the easiest day I've had there. Burnouts actually finished early for once and we didn't have people coming down saying that they didn't get a run. I went in Saturday for a look and ended up working when the masters. Sunday I got soaked while working. Overall it was a good weekend and Saturday seemed to have more people than I've seen in years.

VK - I never ended up doing laps (apart from one as I drove in looking for a car park) so that's why I never called.