Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super Charging A Stock VR V6

vr.calais

1993 VR CALAIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS
Just wondering what goes on with Supercharging a V6, and how much work would need to be done to the engine to make it a relaible setup...
and the potential costs behind doing it... inc labour!

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
It can be done with a toyota SC14 for under $1200 (a member here did it for under $1000 actually) if you do most of the fitting etc. yourself. If you are handy with a welder, this is the probably the way to go - tho only things you (or me, actually - I dont know if you are a machinist or anything) would have to outsource would be retuning and making up a new pulley.

If you dont have access to a welder or just arent mechanically minded enough to be confident, a company called castlemaine rod shop do a complete kit (minus retune - you need to sort that out yourself) for $AU2000 - and probably add another $1200 or so to pay a mechanic to fit it.

The next option is to go for a yella terra SC setup. IMO not really worth it, as the supercharger itsself would cost more than what you paid for the car. They have some pretty cool stuff though, have a look at their section in the sponsors section of the site.

vr.calais

1993 VR CALAIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS
thanks for that..
id imagined that i would need atleast a high flowing exhaust and some mild head work..
like bigger valves and roller rockers

vr.calais

1993 VR CALAIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS
at this stage gonna see what i can do with the 6 dude, dont mind the v6,
and one day down the track i might look at getting a v8...
Seriously it doesnt really bother me thou..'
im not looking to be drag racing it,
its a calais, i bought it to be a nice car with luxury items..
Never intended it to be a "blow your doors off mean machine"....
But a lil more poke under the bonnet is alays an option :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if you dont build your motor to suid youd olny be able to use like 3-4psi max before you killed your engine over time. A guy i used to work with did that to his VS and it really wasnt that quick.

what a load of ****. 10psi and it will live for a very long time (assuming you have a good tune) there are guys running 15-20psi in both buick and ecotecs. as long as the engine is mechanically sound all will be fine. just sort the tune and make sure the fuel system can deliver the required amount.

another option is the raptor kit, for 5K you get a complete package. has everything you need to do conversion including tune. you get 9-10psi and 160rwkw+ add a decent exhaust, some roller rockers, intercooling etc and you can very quickly push that to 200rwkw

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Yeah, there is quite a few people running decent boost in their ecotec. Infact a guy turned up the boost to see how long it would last and it was taking 20psi. another guy with a turbo ecotec runs his psi at 25 all the time, probably has internal mods but still 25 is heaps and was making 290rwkw.

imo from what ive seen if you want huge power from a v6, turbo it probably wouldnt cost much more than a blower