Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged v6 on p's?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
hmm a good read over this and i thought id add my 2 cents, ive got all the silent mods that arnt noticeable, k&n air filter, cai system, intercooler piping, sports tires (if theres such a thing) and then i do have a sports exhaust that is noticeable, ive got vt ss 17 inch rims and a clubsport spoiler, ive only ever been pulled over once and thats when i had 2 ppl in my car while on red p's and lucky me got away witha warning. Also one night coming home i was passing through geelong and no joke i had a cop behind me and another one a couple hundred meters infront of me and didnt get pulled over, mean while my exhaust was clearly heard.

I mite just be a lucky bloke but ive never had any real issues with the police as of yet and my car isnt stock.

p.s. i went to my local vicroads and they told me as long as a sports exhaust is within the sound limit (dont know what that is) its legal to have one in victoria

hold on a sec...intercooler piping?

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Reading over that makes no sense... I got my license in february 2008. I'm on my green p's, I thought I was allowed to drive a modified vehicle, just not a forced induction or V8.

Am I right? On my green p's.

i got my P's back in 1978 :cry: Mannnnn i feel old now!!:p
Back then P platers could drive a Phase 3 GTHO or a 350 Monaro....... but i lost a few school mates who decided they would drag race, illegally! in high powered V8's. But then, back when i was 17, you thought a 202 red motor with triples and exctractors were the ducks guts... and they would probably still put out about what a stock Alloytech does these days:bang: Everybodys aim in life was to build a car that went as well as the GTHO.... and they came from the factory with 248kw
Times have changed!!! :thumbsup:

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
kuzman89, because you got your licence AFTER July 1st 2007 you are on the NEW vehicle restrictions, but on the old licence style.

That means you can't have 8 or more cylinders, can't have turbos or superchargers (unless it's diesel). You canot modify your engine for performance or the vehciles in the government gazette!

High powered vehicle restrictions that apply if you obtained your probationary licence after 1 July 2007 | Arrive Alive

Although, reading over this technically you'd be able to get away with an exhaust modification. Because your not ACTUALLY modifying the engine!

was just gonna say until i read down to this, so my exhaust which is from the cat back would be legal, because really i havent modified the engine, but if i got better extractors, that would be a different story then.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Um, extractors are still technically not the engine. Your lawyer could argue that and get out of it.

However, myself and many police are under the impression that it is no modifications that increase power at all. Not just engines. So might be an idea to print out that page and keep it in your car. If they say you've modified your vehicle to get more power, show them that and say that the engine has not been modified though.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Um, extractors are still technically not the engine. Your lawyer could argue that and get out of it.

However, myself and many police are under the impression that it is no modifications that increase power at all. Not just engines. So might be an idea to print out that page and keep it in your car. If they say you've modified your vehicle to get more power, show them that and say that the engine has not been modified though.

Your police or your just saying that police you have talked to?

The ones I know have different thoughts, some wont bother with any engine mods providing your in the right car, some will go mental if you even have a different air filter. Easiest way to get through P's is to buy a sedate looking car, keep your head down, get off them then drive what you want.

msina1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS acclaim,
well i guess their not that bad, i drove unlicensed for a while,(being underage & all)

never pulled over once while i was driving, even town to drysdale on sat nights

now i can just wait for some ranting at me..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
well i guess their not that bad, i drove unlicensed for a while,(being underage & all)

never pulled over once while i was driving, even town to drysdale on sat nights

now i can just wait for some ranting at me..

No rant from me...we used to drive our paddock bombs from Moolap to point Henry after midnight to rally :p

Would of been hilarious to see thinking back now...was a pretty stupid thing to do in all honesty, although in that area, 15 year sago, it was rare to see a car after dark.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Your not allowed to drive a Supercharged OR a Turbo-charged vehicle, which brings my question, how about a a Supercharged AND turbo-charged car like Lukes lol.

note: Im only taking the piss.

msina1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS acclaim,
No rant from me...we used to drive our paddock bombs from Moolap to point Henry after midnight to rally :p

Would of been hilarious to see thinking back now...was a pretty stupid thing to do in all honesty, although in that area, 15 year sago, it was rare to see a car after dark.

even down drysdale way the roads are pretty empty on week nights, country towns ftw!

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
no, but i was looking forward to having a nice tone from my car. My mate had a sports exhaust on his VX and had no cop trouble so i might just risk it.

lol... kids these days...

FYI vicroad's do not enforce anything. the police do. you can register a lambo in your name at age 17 if you really want. Most vic roads staff are hoons anyway (according to my missus)

NO cops will pull you over for a sports exhaust as a performance mod, its just another nail in your coffin if they decide to bury you, you say i had no idea, came on the car. etc.
i got away with driving a over cap/weight and power/weight v8 for over a year on my P's and then a manual turbo supra on a Auto green P license, I only had green P's for a month (when it first came in)

P platers get picked on, but P platers with shinny wheels and loud exhausts especially. i got pulled over once every 1-2 months. I even got pulled up in the supra entering the eastern freeway sideway (where it goes from 60-100 on alexandra parade) i accelerated a bit too hard a little too early. i had a "sports exhaust", Front mount intercooler, boost controller, gauges etc and i got left alone... and let off. i got told.. you better renew your license it expires in 2 weeks lol.

the important thing is to meet them halfway between cars so they cant get a good look. after all, can you be bothered doing paperwork?

Tommo: Vic roads say nothing about Jet cars being illeagle!