Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sv6 heating up in traffic

finchie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
hi people, i've had a couple problems with my 2004 vz sv6 overheating when in traffic or just held up a bit at lights. i got onto it early when it was only ranging from 1/4 to 1/2 way up the temp gauge, but it was never really losing any water. i took it to the mech and they said the radiator cap was stuffed and the heater tap had packed it in. i drove away only to find the issues where still there, only this time it cooked right up to just before the red and started losing a heap of water (2 litres per 30 min drive). they informed me that the radiator had now gone. i picked it back up off the mech and now the radiator has been replaced im back to my original issue of slight over heating when in traffic. i sat in drive thru kfc for 10 mins and it shot up to half. help people i have already spent over $1500 on this crappy little adventure.
the thermo fans kick in at 108 which i dont know if thats normal or not but they do kick in. its doing my head in and im falling out of love with this car very quickly

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
mine sits at 1/4 most of the time, it gets up to 1/2 sitting in stop start traffic for ages, but then the fans kick in

finchie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
i hope its normal, i just dont remember the temp gauge moving when i first got the car 18months ago. id also hate to do the head due to me being to lazy to get it checked.

CKaras

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 Auto
yeah my fans kick in at about half way when in heavy traffic or in a drive through line. half way is normal for most cars

CKaras

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 Auto
pretty much. if it does get above half way and ur fans dont kick in then start to worry lol

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
Mine did the same thing 4 about a year didnt appear to be losing water so i didnt worry to much. Until 2day the water pump decided to blow up i reakon it might of been leaking slighty 4 the past 12 months and now has given up the goat grrrrrrrrrrr