Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Oil Catch Can

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`m thinking of running another catch can for the other side (clean side they call it in the US)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Just a question , will it cause a problem with warranty if you fit one of these. I know it doesn't taker much at times to cause an issue. if so i will wait for warranty to finish. One has to wonder why Gm doesn't fit them stock.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn`t think so we are only catching the **** before before it goes into the motor.
And they are legal.

brockodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Voodoo Blue 2010 VE SV6 Manual Sedan
Hi Pete, its not recommended.

Not sure why its not recommended ? but I have checked out a few sites in the U.S (Camaro, Cadillac etc) quite a few of those guys are running 2 cans as they are finding some oil in the intake pipe between air box & throttle body , I checked mine out of curiosity & there definitely was a bit(maybe10-15ml) in the tube just before the throttle body in the big "sump" part of the tube , so is definitely a factor with the LLTs, although it wasn't much oil (80 000km car) I think it would be better in a catch can than splattered all over the throttle body . Also on the ''dirty'' side (pcv valve coming from drivers side rocker cover) have seen pics of oil in intake manifold plenum & build up of crud on back of valves as the motor is direct injection & no fuel is flowing over back of valves to wash the "crud" off . Any ideas , feedback , recommendations??? Would be appreciated, thanx .

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a very short talk to a tech at work he said to try the one catch can first (drivers side).
It seems after you shut the engine down oil from top of the intake manifold finds its way down to the throttle body intake plenum.
So he thinks that after the one catch goes on the throttle body intake plenum should be right.

So I`ll try one first clean out throttle body intake plenum and see how it goes.

AusTaxi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2020 KIA STINGER GT
Actually, I have been checking the line & pre throttle body ( passenger side ) and it's dry on mine so I'm only going to hook one into the drivers side line.