Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 sluggish acceleration and intermittent clunking

SpiceyP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
New to site, limited knowledge on cars in general so please bear with me:

I've got a 2011 VE Sv6 auto ute, about 220 thousand on the clock. I've had it a few years.

Stuff I've done to it in the past 12 months:

- O2 sensors last year
- Brake master cylinder resevoir replaced (mid 2022) for 1.7k (did I get shafted on this? I completely forgot about it just looking at the service docs)
- New battery (misdiagnosis by old mechanics, turned out to be starter motor as I thought)
- New starter motor
- New coils + plugs
- New radiator + service + tyres (this week)

Probably some other smaller things as well, as well as general servicing every 10,000km which I guess doesn't really count as 'done to it' the way the other stuff does.

It's also had an intermittent, singular clunking, sometimes on a straight, sometimes on a corner, usually in 2nd but not always. Lots of fun diagnosing that one, issue's been present about 18 months intermittently but nobody can really find a fault. Had it yesterday accelerating around a corner up a hill, from the lights (normal acceleration, I don't flog it). Kicked the back end out a little, like really the smallest amount but still made me jump. I couldn't replicate it, tried a few times on the same spot - the road's been redone there recently so no potholes or anything - really felt exactly like something heavy / unrestrained had rolled around in the tray (which was empty).

In the last 6(ish) months it's been a bit sluggish on acceleration. It runs a lot smoother since changing the O2 sensors and a ton smoother since doing the coils + plugs, and hasn't thrown a code since. Just feels a bit lacklustre.
It (very rarely) surges in first for a second or two. I don't know the right name for this phenomenon but I guess it's linked, and only when it's cold. It's overdue for a transmission service but money has been pretty tight over the last year and a half, so I haven't had it done, I guess that's probably come back to bite me.

The car's always had the slightest hesitation between 2nd and 3rd. I only run 98 in it. It's also got a bit of a rough idle (worse with the A/C on), but no codes, and it doesn't feel like it's missing so much as it's just regular rough.

My thoughts are possibly engine mounts or, (what feels maybe more likely), transmission mounts. The car also 'lurches' forward a little when you put it in park and has done so as far back as I can remember. About 3 years ago I tried putting it in reverse, wouldn't go, tried again, there was a pop and it went in. Had the transmission serviced right after, he didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and it's never really acted up since so I never chased it up.

Anyway I know these are two separate issues, I'm wanting to get a service done on the transmission and I'd be open to anyone's recommendations for Brisbane region.

I'd appreciate any advice :) I absolutely love it to bits, it's my dream car, but **** me it's been chewing up money lately lol. I'd consider getting a newer model but I'm dead picky about the style, colour, exhaust etc so, I don't know. I'd like to be able to do more stuff to it myself, I just have kind of a **** setup for it at the moment (tiny tight garage with no power, plus I have almost no experience actually doing anything to cars so afraid of cocking it up).

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
New to site, limited knowledge on cars in general so please bear with me:

I've got a 2011 VE Sv6 auto ute, about 220 thousand on the clock. I've had it a few years.

Stuff I've done to it in the past 12 months:

- O2 sensors last year
- Brake master cylinder resevoir replaced (mid 2022) for 1.7k (did I get shafted on this? I completely forgot about it just looking at the service docs)
- New battery (misdiagnosis by old mechanics, turned out to be starter motor as I thought)
- New starter motor
- New coils + plugs
- New radiator + service + tyres (this week)

Probably some other smaller things as well, as well as general servicing every 10,000km which I guess doesn't really count as 'done to it' the way the other stuff does.

It's also had an intermittent, singular clunking, sometimes on a straight, sometimes on a corner, usually in 2nd but not always. Lots of fun diagnosing that one, issue's been present about 18 months intermittently but nobody can really find a fault. Had it yesterday accelerating around a corner up a hill, from the lights (normal acceleration, I don't flog it). Kicked the back end out a little, like really the smallest amount but still made me jump. I couldn't replicate it, tried a few times on the same spot - the road's been redone there recently so no potholes or anything - really felt exactly like something heavy / unrestrained had rolled around in the tray (which was empty).

In the last 6(ish) months it's been a bit sluggish on acceleration. It runs a lot smoother since changing the O2 sensors and a ton smoother since doing the coils + plugs, and hasn't thrown a code since. Just feels a bit lacklustre.
It (very rarely) surges in first for a second or two. I don't know the right name for this phenomenon but I guess it's linked, and only when it's cold. It's overdue for a transmission service but money has been pretty tight over the last year and a half, so I haven't had it done, I guess that's probably come back to bite me.

The car's always had the slightest hesitation between 2nd and 3rd. I only run 98 in it. It's also got a bit of a rough idle (worse with the A/C on), but no codes, and it doesn't feel like it's missing so much as it's just regular rough.

My thoughts are possibly engine mounts or, (what feels maybe more likely), transmission mounts. The car also 'lurches' forward a little when you put it in park and has done so as far back as I can remember. About 3 years ago I tried putting it in reverse, wouldn't go, tried again, there was a pop and it went in. Had the transmission serviced right after, he didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and it's never really acted up since so I never chased it up.

Anyway I know these are two separate issues, I'm wanting to get a service done on the transmission and I'd be open to anyone's recommendations for Brisbane region.

I'd appreciate any advice :) I absolutely love it to bits, it's my dream car, but **** me it's been chewing up money lately lol. I'd consider getting a newer model but I'm dead picky about the style, colour, exhaust etc so, I don't know. I'd like to be able to do more stuff to it myself, I just have kind of a **** setup for it at the moment (tiny tight garage with no power, plus I have almost no experience actually doing anything to cars so afraid of cocking it up).
I can't help too much with the other faults, but as for the trans service. I would recommend HDM (heavy duty motorsport) in Oxley, as they do a Wynns flush and service, around the $400. I had that done the moment I purchased my VE and it made a world of difference with the shifts and all that good stuff. They also are pretty big on Commodores in general and have big experience with the Alloytecs. So maybe give them a call or even pop in and see them if you are around there ways.

SpiceyP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I can't help too much with the other faults, but as for the trans service. I would recommend HDM (heavy duty motorsport) in Oxley, as they do a Wynns flush and service, around the $400. I had that done the moment I purchased my VE and it made a world of difference with the shifts and all that good stuff. They also are pretty big on Commodores in general and have big experience with the Alloytecs. So maybe give them a call or even pop in and see them if you are around there ways.
Cheers yeah I will give them a ring, had missed that one when I was ringing around for quotes earlier. Thanks!

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
$1700 for a master cylinder and probably with a brake flush and bleed!
I hope they gave you any left over lube because you got shafted good and proper.

SpiceyP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
$1700 for a master cylinder and probably with a brake flush and bleed!
I hope they gave you any left over lube because you got shafted good and proper.
Lmao yeah I completely forgot about it tbh, I had the feeling at the time but I didn't know any better and I needed the car fixed.

Edit* sorry no the master cylinder and flush was 410, other stuff made up of sparks + coils (970) + a service (277) + MAF clean
Only looked at the receipt on the front quickly haha

Still seems expensive to me but

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Edit* sorry no the master cylinder and flush was 410, other stuff made up of sparks + coils (970) + a service (277). Which, actually thinking about it still seems pretty ****ing steep.
That sounds a bit better. $1700 for just a MC & Flush I would have slashed my wrists.
But with the rest of the stuff yeah it makes more sense and although there are cheaper mechanics out there sometimes it pays to pay a bit more and get a good job done and a warranty on the work.

SpiceyP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
That sounds a bit better. $1700 for just a MC & Flush I would have slashed my wrists.
But with the rest of the stuff yeah it makes more sense and although there are cheaper mechanics out there sometimes it pays to pay a bit more and get a good job done and a warranty on the work.
Haha yeah, I've been going to the same place for years, they do warrant their work which I've used (only once) but they're also on the other side of town so it's always an event taking the car into them to get home and back again to pick it up.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
it's always an event taking the car into them to get home and back again to pick it up.
I only take mine to one place and only when I can't or don't want to do it myself and it's a 55 minute walk home at a good pace so I know what you are saying.

SpiceyP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I only take mine to one place and only when I can't or don't want to do it myself and it's a 55 minute walk home at a good pace so I know what you are saying.
Yeah honestly I'd really like to start doing more myself, I've got an interest in cars I just don't have stuff all hands on practise and nobody really around to learn from. Plus with an older car it's either mechanical know-how or deep pockets..

SpiceyP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I've been quoted 390 for an auto transmission service (the lowest I could find was 330 but they are booked out for a month). Does this seem reasonable?