Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sway bar diameters VF1 SS FE2

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Just done a second Sydney Canberra return trip in my SV6 with the Monroe struts.
Way better road feel and control than the Sachs I had in for 6 months and the bonus is that the rubbing noise has gone from the passenger side, which I was blaming on the strut mount and/or the bearing.
Now, if only I could tighten up the handling a bit and make it feel a bit better planted, like my SSV.
Using the wrong Monroe shocks doesn't help. You should've fitted GT Sport with FE2 springs, not OE Spectrums.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Using the wrong Monroe shocks doesn't help. You should've fitted GT Sport with FE2 springs, not OE Spectrums.

I certainly take your word given your wealth of knowledge on a lot of these things, but having just replaced all my struts and associated bushing components on my SV6, I cannot for the life of me tell any difference between stock FE2 struts and the OESpectrums. I noticed that Monroe doesn't list any struts for Calais FE1.5 in the front, and the only rears they offer are a different part number to the FE2 OESpectrums so there is different valving it seems.

On the same road loop I do from the city through the hills to the Barossa, the OESpectrums feel excellent with stock springs + all new OEM bushes and I was trying my level headed best to feel any changes or differences. Only difference was SuperPro Polyelast strut tops, which again I can't tell any additional harshness.

Not saying GT Sports aren't "better" for spirited driving, but im very happy with the OESprectrums for a daily. The front struts are identical in everyday to the OEM's, the rears are a significantly bigger in diameter to the OEM's, presumably for more oil volume. If I had an SSV with FE3, id have certainly gone GT Sports

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I certainly take your word given your wealth of knowledge on a lot of these things, but having just replaced all my struts and associated bushing components on my SV6, I cannot for the life of me tell any difference between stock FE2 struts and the OESpectrums.
Using OE Spectrum's maintains the same handling dynamic as stock FE2. To improve the handling dynamic to feel more like Redline FE3, GT Sport shocks will achieve that is the point in response to your comment below. In other words, you won't get a more "planted" handling dynamic unless you stiffen the shock valving with the GT Sport upgrade.

Now, if only I could tighten up the handling a bit and make it feel a bit better planted, like my SSV.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Using OE Spectrum's maintains the same handling dynamic as stock FE2. To improve the handling dynamic to feel more like Redline FE3, GT Sport shocks will achieve that is the point in response to your comment below. In other words, you won't get a more "planted" handling dynamic unless you stiffen the shock valving with the GT Sport upgrade.
This might be a naive question - but if GT Sport is similar to FE3, woudln't it be better to buy OE FE3 parts? Is cost the only factor that swings it towards the GT Sport shocks?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I certainly take your word given your wealth of knowledge on a lot of these things, but having just replaced all my struts and associated bushing components on my SV6, I cannot for the life of me tell any difference between stock FE2 struts and the OESpectrums. I noticed that Monroe doesn't list any struts for Calais FE1.5 in the front, and the only rears they offer are a different part number to the FE2 OESpectrums so there is different valving it seems.

On the same road loop I do from the city through the hills to the Barossa, the OESpectrums feel excellent with stock springs + all new OEM bushes and I was trying my level headed best to feel any changes or differences. Only difference was SuperPro Polyelast strut tops, which again I can't tell any additional harshness.

Not saying GT Sports aren't "better" for spirited driving, but im very happy with the OESprectrums for a daily. The front struts are identical in everyday to the OEM's, the rears are a significantly bigger in diameter to the OEM's, presumably for more oil volume. If I had an SSV with FE3, id have certainly gone GT Sports
Yeah - the online catalogue is a bit strange, although the summary earlier in this thread by @RevNev suggests that the ""Lowered" reccomendation is the same as FE2. What I have now feels the same as OEM and feels far better than the brief flirtation with Sachs.
My SSV is just heavier, with higher rated front springs and that obviously gives a different feel to my SV6. (whilst the rear is the same). Can't work out what the shocks are yet, but when I replace them, I will obviously go with a very "firm" valving.

This reminds me of an old thread re: Shocks and springs for different models: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/change-fe2-to-fe3-in-ssv.270773/page-4
Although the list is incomplete (which is a pity) and the OEM numbers dont really matter when they're geeting swapped out, it shows the differences and similarities.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
This might be a naive question - but if GT Sport is similar to FE3, woudln't it be better to buy OE FE3 parts? Is cost the only factor that swings it towards the GT Sport shocks?
FE3 shocks are softer than FE2 but has stiffer sway bars and works well at stock ride heights. Using FE3 shock with FE2 suspension, the car handles worse. FE3 shocks are pretty well useless for any modified application.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
FE3 shocks are softer than FE2 but has stiffer sway bars and works well at stock ride heights. Using FE3 shock with FE2 suspension, the car handles worse. FE3 shocks are pretty well useless for any modified application.
Thanks @RevNev - will you be able to make a similar comparison to the F1.5(?) setup on my 2016 Calais V (V6)?

My car is at 72k kms and its on the OE setup. The ride is comfortable but a bit too floaty for my liking. Over broken roads, I certainly feel the harshness too. I suspect that my 19" factory wheels may also have a role to play in this - neither here nor there - feeling. I don't want bone shattering stiffness in the name of "handling like on rails". I am looking to get to a state where my car is comfortable and maintains composure over uneven/ broken roads.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thanks @RevNev - will you be able to make a similar comparison to the F1.5(?) setup on my 2016 Calais V (V6)?
I've only ever replaced springs and shocks at the same time with a Calais. FE2 (SS/SV6) shocks are the stiffest and work fine with King Springs lowered to SL's but no lower as they run out of bump clearance. One of the worst rides and setups are King SSL or SSSL with FE3 (Redline) shocks and is probably the reason King Springs are often criticized among the many who do it.

A stiffer shock with Calias springs will improve the handling but ultimately, Calais are too high and too soft for me despite their comfortability.

I really like the setup I've got on my SV6 wagon for a daily driver, it's just nice for me in relation to handling vs comfortability. It's marginally stiffer than stock FE2 but not much as my wife thought it felt the same comfortability wise. That's lowering it 25mm with King SL front and L rear retaining the stock FE2 shocks.

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
VE FE3 was a bit lower than stock but in VF, all ride heights were much the same and just too high to look normal. I think after lowering my SV6 wagon 25mm (380mm from the center of the wheel to the guard) is the ride height that FE2/FE3 should've been stock.

I struggle to understand how Holden could think that a sports suspension wagon needed to be 25mm higher than this.

View attachment 260891
Finally measured mine. 380mm at the rear, 395 at the front with no one on board and 3/4 tank of petrol.