Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft replacement - one headache after another

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Of course it can be replaced, how else would they reco it?
The problem is that it's a 50/50 chance of getting the shaft to come apart or destroy it in the process, hence why most mechanics won't go near it.
My guess in that video posted earlier had been taken apart previously to the video making it look real easy, the spring clip doesn't appear to be in the groove of the spline.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
well its entirely up to u, if u can find a good s/hand unit from a wreckers then it should be alright. if not i suppose ur limited to finding one on gumtree/ebay or having urs overhauled

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Resolved by getting a reco tailshaft.. and the pointed out the uni was all one bit so it couldnt be taken apart for cheap
you would think it would be the same price as the reco seeing as they would have done the same thing to it but then again theres labor to pay as well so to avoid the screw around i just traded in.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
The uni itself is rarely a problem, and i can garuantee that 99% of driveline shops will not replace them due to how finnicky they are. Its nearly always the rubber mounted centre bearing infront of it. How much did the recon unit cost u? Atleast having a full recon unit, u should have no dramas with balancing or anything else like that (providing they used quality parts). Hope its all downhill from here on in getting the car licensed

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Just gutta get the abs light off and tired and im done