Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

taking out the spool :(

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I had a mini spool in my VT 5 speed V6.
It used to eat tyres like they were going out of fashion.
But I took it out.
And replaced it with a sheetmetal 9" diff housing, moser iron centre and 35 spline full spool.
Should go off like a frog in a sock

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
That line is actually 'dont be a fool, get a spool' :p

Why do top fuelers use spools? If an LSD is just as good? Likewise other racing categories

1. Racing is very different to the street
2. No doubt what so ever that a spool is excellent for drag racing however their use is by no means universal in other racing categories.

Reaper

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
A spool is a stronger setup; so for top end hp drag cars they need all the strength they can get and they only get driven under load straight. Same if you want a dedicated drift machine, a spool rocks. Both here are talking strictly drag or track cars.

Here we are talking street-able commodores. I agree an aftermarket clutch LSD is heaps better than the cone setup we have from factory in our Commodores.

Don’t forget as you turn the outer side tyre needs to travel a further distance; hence with a spool the tyre actually needs to slip and you get that jerking from it. Not very good for traction during a heavy turn, and chews out your tyres. This forced loss of traction is the reason you loose it in the wet, and even in the dry a spool is not very good for early cornering. A spool can get the best power down as you exit the corner.

Also don't forget a decent LSD that has been setup correctly will be locked under heavy load, delivering power to both wheels the same as a spool.

Everyone I know that has used a minispool on the road has removed it within a year.

QldKev

Chews tyres and loses it in the wet? Any credibility you had just went out the window, sorry. These are common myths 'my uncles brothers neighbours dog walker' said, and are quite laughable (because their usually from people who havn't ever had any expereince with them).

If you Daily drive a spooled car, you wont notice any difference in tyre wear (whilst is common sense that it physically uses more tread, over a 'year' period you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a spooled car and a non spooled cars tyres, i know because i tested this myself with 2 identical cars).

Funnily enough, I dont know a single person that has removed their spool, other than one or 2 people online. I know plenty of 'satisfied customers' :)

1. Racing is very different to the street
2. No doubt what so ever that a spool is excellent for drag racing however their use is by no means universal in other racing categories.

Reaper

I know this was predominantly about the street, but he mentioned at the track.
VESA (while not the premier thing in motorsport, but the biggest Aus Category) have decided to KEEP using the spooled setup, as opposed to going to a LSD setup. Likewise the other categories (Fujitsu V8s and V8 utes)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Chews tyres and loses it in the wet? Any credibility you had just went out the window, sorry. These are common myths 'my uncles brothers neighbours dog walker' said, and are quite laughable (because their usually from people who havn't ever had any expereince with them).

If you Daily drive a spooled car, you wont notice any difference in tyre wear (whilst is common sense that it physically uses more tread, over a 'year' period you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a spooled car and a non spooled cars tyres, i know because i tested this myself with 2 identical cars).

Funnily enough, I dont know a single person that has removed their spool, other than one or 2 people online. I know plenty of 'satisfied customers' :)

The tyre wear is caused from the constant scrubbing when you turn a corner. How much it effects you will vary on where you live due to the amount of corners and the road surface; also how hard you drive through corners. Funny thing is so far all spool users in this thread have mentioned about their bald tyres. Both V8 commodores (one a very quick car) and a 180sx that I know that had spools did have issues with the rear end in the wet. It is no like they were slippery on ice; but compared to a decent lsd they were looser in the wet; where the drivers ended slower through the corners. It will also depend on your vehicle, all three of these cars had a heaps higher power to weight ratio than you car. One of the commodores and the 180sx drivers are close friends, and the other a work mate, that I worked with for about 8 years. Not just people I heard about or I read on the Internet.

I think there will be people who love their lockers and then haters; people who love their Hyclones,,,

QldKev

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
The tyre wear is caused from the constant scrubbing when you turn a corner. How much it effects you will vary on where you live due to the amount of corners and the road surface; also how hard you drive through corners. Funny thing is so far all spool users in this thread have mentioned about their bald tyres. Both V8 commodores (one a very quick car) and a 180sx that I know that had spools did have issues with the rear end in the wet. It is no like they were slippery on ice; but compared to a decent lsd they were looser in the wet; where the drivers ended slower through the corners. It will also depend on your vehicle, all three of these cars had a heaps higher power to weight ratio than you car. One of the commodores and the 180sx drivers are close friends, and the other a work mate, that I worked with for about 8 years. Not just people I heard about or I read on the Internet.

I think there will be people who love their lockers and then haters; people who love their Hyclones,,,

QldKev

Most spool owners generally use more tyres by choice, suggest its a person who ONLY has fun on the track, the tyres will last years when daily driving, just like mine did. Power to weight means ####all, driving spiritedly changed things. I went through 4 sets of tyres in a 4 day weekend, yet my 18s lasted over a year on my car (and then went onto my wagon and lasted a further 8ish months). The fact is they can last just as long as an LSD equiped car, if you choose it (but lets face it, most people would get a spool for one reason, and thats the intention of doing burnouts).

For the record, I chose a spool because it doesn't wear out. I would have had to have spent $1000s on LSDs in the last 7 years as opposed to ONE diff.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Haha, i'm almost contemplating giving you pos rep for that. Love the sarcasm :)

Bro, its not a joke. You sit in your computer chair laughing, but people have been killed and lives ruined because of idiots like you doing illegal modifications.

This car is believed to have had a welded diff
Teen pleads guilty after runaway car kills toddler - Story - National - 3 News

I know you are gonna reply "but im a good driver, that will never happen to me" but thats all bullshit. Being a good driver is 20% skill and 80% attitude. And you obviously have the wrong attitude.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Bro, its not a joke. You sit in your computer chair laughing, but people have been killed and lives ruined because of idiots like you doing illegal modifications.

This car is believed to have had a welded diff
Teen pleads guilty after runaway car kills toddler - Story - National - 3 News

I know you are gonna reply "but im a good driver, that will never happen to me" but thats all bullshit. Being a good driver is 20% skill and 80% attitude. And you obviously have the wrong attitude.

If you're gonna pick a story to back your own, get something better.
Something where they don't mention 'modified springs'...
Didn't need a spool to do that damage.

Spools have a place.
LSD's have a place.
Peoples opinions on the line between will be different, we should all accept that.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
LOL some of you guys make me laugh, Seriously stop preaching what you have heard and start showing some proof....
Also as stealthy said above, ANY CAR is dangerous, it all depends on the driver. Use common sense and you will be fine.

You have to be joking?
Im sure more lives have been taken away in car related accidents due to speeding, drink driving, not driving to the conditions, bald tyres, worn out suspension, bad brakes etc then spools have, So seriously Get the #### over it :)
All good with a full spool, until you launch it hard snap an axle and put it into a wall at 100+mph cause one wheel is still driving hard. Give me a decent LSD any-day for me...

QldKev

LOL dude, seriously, To snap an axle on a launch you need a shitload of power, and put it into a wall at 100mph? thats 160km, If someone stapped an axle and didnt get off the pedal straight away then they deserve what they get, and not to mention if you had a car with enough power to snap an axle on take off then the other wheel would just spin...... Big hole in your theory BUUUUUUUUT if somehow that was possible then its a perfect example of the driver being the problem and not the diff :D