Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thank you Apple!

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Did not watched the whole hoopla but the bit that I had the chance to watch reminds me the 1984 Apple Ad.
The one based on George Orwell book called 1984.
Search for the Ad, I think is posted in You Tube and see what I am talking about.

They had all these people with the jaw open (as a figure of speech) staring a Monitor, on a cult like setup; that is the feel that gave me.

Apple is full of Newspeak that is very creepy I must say.

The other thing about the Pay thing Apple is implementing was done already by Shell, American Express and many other credit card companies.
Shell used to call it Wave and Pay.

Get fuel for your car and wave the card at the pump or at the cashier.
All based on Near Field Communication (NFC).
The drawback was the chip broadcasted information when it was close to one of those card NFC Scanners.
Huge security concern and they all ditched the idea pretty darn quick.
Now the same old idea in a phone... that is dumb on my book.
Samsung has the NFC since the Galaxy S3 to transfer data

The other is the watch.
Around 1995 Timex came with a watch called Datalink; Google for it and you will see.
Was approved by NASA for space travel, Cosmonauts used them.
The watch can be programmed by placing the watch in front of the computer monitor.
Information was transferred by a series of bar codes and blinking.
Was capable to store phone numbers, dates, set the time/dual time and set the alarm for whatever you want it.
Sold for about $40 USD in Walmart (I still have 2 of them).
Another old idea implemented in Apple.

Another funny tidbit is that Apple buys the display screens from Samsung.

Another bit is that Apple OS is a spin off of Free BSD that is Linux which Android is one of the multiple flavors of it.

What Apple has that Android lacks is the boutique appeal.

I have used both platform and to be honest the most easier and user friendlier of all is the Blackberry OS but is too draconian and does not allow much to do.
Used the iPhone and was not thrilled, does the same thing as any other phone, texting, reads e-mail, surfs the web (oops no flash support for Apple), makes phone calls.

Anything that is stored on the cloud is for gullible people.
I do my own backups so I have no need for Google Drive, iCloud, etc...
Buying music is a waste of money now days, subscribe to streaming audio is a better bang for your bucks.
Sad thing is the iPhone does not have a SD Card.

Right now I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3, rooted and reflashed with CyanogenMOD ROM.
Is a Samsung Phone with a different operating system or let us say a different Linux Distribution.
No bloatware to speak of, no F-book, to Twatter, none of that nonsense.
Still have the NFC, Bluetooth, is a Hot Spot Router for 5 Devices and play any media under the sun with a great battery life.
Pairs up with my BlueStar/Costar that I installed in the G8 and use all the features from the GM phone controls.
And no OnStar spyware :D

Last edited:

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
tdTOVP8.jpg

INNNOVATION!

Nice try, you fedora wearing neck beard!(Reddit joke, for those playing at home)

Read the original reviews for both phones! Different reviewers :)

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Apjail broken iphone over a r00ted android any day.

Jailbroken is an iPhone in a promiscuous mode that allows it to dip on other applications not sanctioned by Apple.
But does not give you full control of the Operating System.
If you do an update will reset the phone back and you have to "Jailbreak" it again.

But a Rooted phone is a Phone that gives you a Full Administrative Control of the phone.
Dangerous tool if you have no clue; you can brick the phone in a heartbeat.
A price to pay if you want Absolute Control of your phone.

In essence, the Android OS by default/factory settings is already "Jailbroken" (in Apple terms).

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
And you didn't return it? Wow! how dumb can some users be?

why would you return it? free gift for your kid at your bosses expense. id be saying 'how dumb can you be' at someone returning it.

@ wongy

m'lady

hqdefault.jpg

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Regarding the Apple Watch - blerg, I already have a watch I don't wear so I have no intention of buying another one.

My watch has everything I need the current time and day/ date , what more do you want . Much like my phone has everything I need and none of the useless gadgets that Samsung users rave about .

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The other thing about the Pay thing Apple is implementing was done already by Shell, American Express and many other credit card companies.
Shell used to call it Wave and Pay.

Hi there, Paywave is widely used and accepted in Australia and many other countries the good old USA is still waaaaaay behind - as a matter of fact as of the 1st of last month swipe and sign is no longer accepted - at all.

We use Paywave, chip and pin or as a failback if the chip fails swipe and pin only.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Doesnt really disprove my point at how skewed brand loyalty can be in this argument.
Well it does when people have different sized hands, what's big for one isn't for another. I was thinking same reviewer, you now have no credability Gren, you will now be know as Fox News.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Hi there, Paywave is widely used and accepted in Australia and many other countries the good old USA is still waaaaaay behind - as a matter of fact as of the 1st of last month swipe and sign is no longer accepted - at all.

We use Paywave, chip and pin or as a failback if the chip fails swipe and pin only.
Can still sign.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Can still sign.

Further research indicates you are right, it is however being phased out with a view to having it gone by next year.

The big push you may have noticed to pin was last month.

The more advanced security of Paywave, chip and pin will reduce incidences like Target and Home Depot credit card thefts (both in the US with their antiquated systems).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomgroe...re-credit-cards-with-chips-coming-to-the-u-s/

To our American friends, it is extremely rare to see a non-chip card in Australia - and almost impossible to get one without Paywave.