Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thank you Apple!

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
phones are getting to big.. if I want something the size of a tablet, id get a tablet... I have an HTC one and a SS s3 Mini.. I like the S3 Mini the best, but find I have to restore to factory quite abit to get my built-in space back after stupid updates... turned that shit off, downloaded online poker and left it as that..

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Hi there, Paywave is widely used and accepted in Australia and many other countries the good old USA is still waaaaaay behind - as a matter of fact as of the 1st of last month swipe and sign is no longer accepted - at all.

We use Paywave, chip and pin or as a fail-back if the chip fails swipe and pin only.

Not sure if we are way behind; to be honest, sometimes we really do.
Not saying here in the USA is the only place in the world with Refrigerators (sad to say but a lot of people think that way).

What I am saying that was implemented several years back and was found a security vulnerability.
That was the car broadcasted the information and was as good as obtaining your credit card number and making unauthorized payments.

I was told that some people sat around and/or installed a receiver close to an Automatic Cash Machine waiting for a costumer.
Once the card was in use and if the ATM/Register was set to work with NFC the card chip broadcasted the info and was picked up by the receiver/data logger.

Similar idea when a cashier swipes the card on a card reader to get the info from it.

So it was removed for that reason.

I remember about 15 years ago about cell phones with an Infrared transmitter.
Was an Ericsson flip phone. Was told that was for some European system that you can use the Cell Phone to pay for stuff like Vending Machines.
All you need it was pick what you want and aim the phone to the machine like a remote and will bill your Phone Account with the goods.
That was not implemented in the USA; but I thought was neat though.

What we have is vending machines that takes Credit/Debit Cards.

By the way...
"Paywave" sounds like some kind of Chinese restaurant franchise.
Might go for some Fly Lice at Paywave :rofl2:

phones are getting to big..

To be honest, that is the natural evolution of things.

Same with cars, next year has to be bigger, meaner with more crap/bloatware; just to out-do the competition.
Eventually will go "Supernova" and goes back to basic, just like the Mazda Miata.
Started as a basic British Roadster similar to the MG and is getting bigger on each new release.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Bring back Nokia 5110. Had snake and ringtone composer.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
why would you return it? free gift for your kid at your bosses expense. id be saying 'how dumb can you be' at someone returning it.

@ wongy

m'lady

hqdefault.jpg

In that case, he is given a faulty device for free, assumes the product should have connectivity issues from the start so does nothing about it, then compares all products from that manufacturer in the same way. Again, some users....

His child has a FREE faulty toy not a $800 childs toy.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
In that case, he is given a faulty device for free, assumes the product should have connectivity issues from the start so does nothing about it, then compares all products from that manufacturer in the same way. Again, some users....

Good call , that's what I was thinking as well

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I didn't claim it the banks have, the security mechanisms in paywave are far more advanced than anything to date.

Of course the banks are saying it is great but you are broadcasting/defending it as gospel.

In the interests of learning, please elaborate on these "advanced secutity mechanisms" or is that just more bank propaganda ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I didn't claim it the banks have, the security mechanisms in paywave are far more advanced than anything to date.
Of course the banks are saying it is great but you are broadcasting/defending it as gospel.

In the interests of learning, please elaborate on the "advanced secutity mechanisms"

you should probably do the research if you are worried about it - from memory all banks have a bit of a spiel/write-up about it on their sites, Visa are taking on the liability and taking it away from the customer and the vendor so I wouldn't be too concerned about it as it stands.

I know this beyond any doubt - swipe and sign has led to massive massive credit card fraud in the states with Target and Home Depot being the biggest high profile victims, I've heard proof of concept hacks exist for NFC but am yet to hear of people skimming cards with portable devices.

Let's put it this way, if NFC payment security is a massive security risk - where is the press on it? Because one thing is for sure people are paranoid and the media love a good story....

Card skimmers and hijacked atm's are a way bigger problem than paywave.

BushSSV

Stone chip collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV

I'm gonna type in caps because you don't seem to be seeing what I've posted (post #15): IT DEVELOPED PROBLEMS AFTER WARRANTY RAN OUT. APPLE WON'T REPLACE IT NOR WILL WORK. IT CAN CONNECT TO WIFI IT JUST WONT HOLD SETTINGS; THUS IT'S OK FOR MY DAUGHTER BUT TOO CUMBERSOME FOR WORK. GOT IT?

LTR

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've been using Paywave for over 3 years, never had an issue and love it for my annoying shop trips to restock common items. Had some bloke at the local takeaway tell me how dangerous it is and that he could simply run the machine against my arse to grab my card details. I obliged him 3 99c transactions. Poor bastard looked like a moron in front of a number of customers.

I don't disagree it's security flawed, I mean any system without authentication is, but the Henny Penny mentality is a bit much.