Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

That New Car Smell

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Mine's about 32%.

There are many products available on the market that allegedly offer a 'new car smell', do a search then trial them to find the right one.

Quote:
Unfortunately, sometimes things that smell good aren't good for you. According to Chemical & Engineering News, new car smell is created when volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the adhesives and sealants used in car manufacturing emit noxious gas into the passenger compartment, something known as off-gassing.

mines at 34.7%

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
quick get a big jar and fill it with some of the smell out of the car. When the smell starts to wear off tip some of the smell out of the jar into the car to top up the smell again. I have a 30 year old car I've been doing this with and it still smells as new as the day I bought it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I used my Fart Meter. I bet there is a few member here would like to know about this, I cant be the only member that has inquired about this
Excuse me Sir, I’m enquiring about your fart meter. At first you had my curiosity, now you have my attention. We have a farting competition coming up and thought your Fart-o-meter 3000 might be of use to us. How can we get a hold of one?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That smell is a cocktail of VOC’s that come from the various materials used in the car. Particularly foams. You could keep buying a chunk of foam from Clark Rubber and shoving it under the seat to achieve the desired smell.

Laurie H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV
Try Meguiars 'new car scent' protectant ..nice matt finish..and also their 'new car scent' carpet/fabric refresher spray ...keeps my 13 year old VE Calais smelling brand new (97.5%.. at least !! )

Mick HHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I use Auto Kolone. Been using it for 30 yesrs. Taxis use it as well. Works for me. About $8 to $12 at Repco/Super Cheap

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Try Meguiars 'new car scent' protectant ..nice matt finish..and also their 'new car scent' carpet/fabric refresher spray ...keeps my 13 year old VE Calais smelling brand new (97.5%.. at least !! )

Can it be diluted to achieved op's desired 70% ?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Maybe Caprice plastics take longer to gas off...
Dont know whats going on about this matter but it still smell new and the car was first registered on January 2014 and I never seen a Holden of any model keep there original or close to original smell like the Caprice. Months ago I put a post on one door that was dull (good now) and I was asked about swirl marks on a black car and I said NONE or Close to NONE, WHAT no swirl marks on a black car that is close to 6 years old but I now know that the original owner had the car done with paint correction on October 2018 (spoke to them over the Phone) and possible that paint correction mob gave the car some added smell. (Dont want to ring them up again for this, yes got their mobile of Holden Reports when they change the electric steering that had failed.)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can it be diluted to achieved op's desired 70% ?
All I want to know is the one that is sold that its the closest to original to that period of Holden Cars. No doubt there is a few deodorants you can buy but they smell way off from the original smell given by there products or glues used around 2013 to whatever.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I use Auto Kolone. Been using it for 30 yesrs. Taxis use it as well. Works for me. About $8 to $12 at Repco/Super Cheap
Hummmm Interesting I will right this down. If I buy it I will test in on another car FIRST.