Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The car that killed Holden in Australia, so they say.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Never mind the billions given to Qantas over the last few years.

Or the other 10s of billions given to businesses over the last few years that didn't need it.
And they still leave passengers stranded overnight from continuously cancelling Jetstar flights. Never fly Jetstar unless you have an extra day up your sleeve.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
And they still leave passengers stranded overnight from continuously cancelling Jetstar flights. Never fly Jetstar
Fixed it for you...
When I was an engineer, I was supposed to fly to Hobart to change an electric driven hydraulic pump on a stranded B737.
When I asked how I was to get to Hobart, the boss said, "You're flying Jetstar".
I replied, "No, I'm f*cking not flying with that dodgy mob, find another poor slob to do it".

Got retrenched about 6 months later!:D

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Simple solution to that problem, drop your wages. house prices.
Fixed it for you! It’s the ridiculously high cost of housing that means we have to be paid ridiculously high wages. Which is of no net benefit to society, only the banks.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS

Or the other 10s of billions given to businesses over the last few years that didn't need it.
biggest issue is they dont pay tax.........

I do love my holdens but just drove canberra to adelaide in a mondeo diesel wagon and did it on one tank(fuel cost and weight were holdens issues)

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Yeah true, but Alloytecs can reach 300,000km without too many dramas... The same could not be said for a Korean Holden, which all blew up pretty early in their lives and are notoriously troublesome...
had one ve alloytec sold at 250k no majors issues(alternator at 180k fuel pump at 230k) serviced every 7500. But there must be a major design flaw with the pvc system to cause sluding and not be able to survive 15k services

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Yup.

NZ Govco has bought out Air NZ twice now after privatisation because they almost killed the airline so we bought it back with govco been the majority shareholder I believe.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
had one ve alloytec sold at 250k no majors issues(alternator at 180k fuel pump at 230k) serviced every 7500. But there must be a major design flaw with the pvc system to cause sluding and not be able to survive 15k services

It's a well known issue and one the factory finally fixed on some of the last alloytec motors released. There is a thread on how to remedy it from @Fu Manchu

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Holden did poorly in the commercial vehicle market. Commodores back in the early 2000's were also very unreliable, which I have no doubt pushed people towards Toyota.
To say the Captiva alone killed Holden is stupid. Barina, Astra, Colorado were all seen as offering little value for money compared to a Camry, Hyundai or Hilux. Even the Ford Territory, which you hardly ever see on the road anymore, sold quite well.
Last, but not least, Toyota absolutely obliterated the 4WD market with its Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It's a well known issue and one the factory finally fixed on some of the last alloytec motors released. There is a thread on how to remedy it from @Fu Manchu
The root problem is too much blow-by.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Giving scumbags free money without any conditions what an intelligent set of traitors we elected how does this happen? For the amount of money given to GM the goverment should of owned the factorys why I say every politican this century is a traitor. Look at what is happening now its a big stich lets put the interest rate up weekly so the rich can get richer. How many of the muppets did GM give kickbacks is the question? Its only going to get worse.
Before you start saying they got free money, look how they had to earn that money investing in Australia. GM contributed a lot to the Asutralian car industry and paid taxes too. It even employed a few thousand Aussies. Like other comments above, there are govt assistance for many industries which some we don't know about.