Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The complete Vn-Vr Manual Conversion Guide.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I'll be converting a series 2 v6 vr. I'm competent with all the mechanical stuff just after reading through he thread I'm still insure if the auto loom and ecu can be retained. I know the ecu will have to be remapped.

Would I be able to retain the Auto loom but use a manual ecu for a t5?

Yeah man.

ont the Tee shifter loom. just bridge the starter inhibit switch ( black and grey ). Wire the pink and green wires to the reverse switch. then run a inition on power source ( cig lighter ) to the vehicle speed sensor, a earth and run a signal wire from the vehicle speed sensor to the violet ( purple ) wire on the dash loom from the ecu ( its up under the glove box i think ) To wire the vehicle speed sensor just cut the purple wire and wire your new signal wire to the dash side of the loom to the speedo cluster, dont re join the purple wire again, just leave it.

Wow I have good memory, I think there is a diagram if you read this thread :)

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Berlina 5L, VR Daily
Yeah man.

ont the Tee shifter loom. just bridge the starter inhibit switch ( black and grey ). Wire the pink and green wires to the reverse switch. then run a inition on power source ( cig lighter ) to the vehicle speed sensor, a earth and run a signal wire from the vehicle speed sensor to the violet ( purple ) wire on the dash loom from the ecu ( its up under the glove box i think ) To wire the vehicle speed sensor just cut the purple wire and wire your new signal wire to the dash side of the loom to the speedo cluster, dont re join the purple wire again, just leave it.

Wow I have good memory, I think there is a diagram if you read this thread :)

So if I get a manual t5 ecu and follow your wiring guide ill be right? Theres no differnece between the plugs on auto to manual looms? And just leave all the auto stuff unplugged?

Last edited:

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
So if I get a manual t5 ecu and follow your wiring guide ill be right? Theres no differnece between the plugs on auto to manual looms? And just leave all the auto stuff unplugged?

Yes, except you leave the purple wire going to the ecu but you still tee you VSS signal wire into the purple wire. All you do then is re pin the the VSS wire to D2? I think

EDIT: Boom read this thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-conversion-wiring-step-step-instruction.html

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
not sure if its been said in this post or others. about this same tpoic, but problem with bypassing the ECU/PCM to make the speedo work is the car wants to stall all the time. and you will get the engine light comming on coz the computer dont see the vss. even with a wire running to the d2 pin or what ever pin it was ment to be (i did mine a few years back so cant remember for sure)

i messed around with mine so much but gave up after 12 months and finaly took the car to someone who knew what they were doing and it wasnt cheep, but i got sick and tired of the car stalling out when i diped the clutch. but the car now runs exactly how it should if it left the factory as a manual.

part of the problem is the Vs computers are not all fully populated. alot of them are missing the t5 manual vss circut. and the ones that have it are so hard to find i looked for 12 months with no luck. the guy i took mine to was able to make a few mods to a VT ecu and that solved everything.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
You can get the circuit put into an auto ecu. I had a list on the parts at some point in time. I need to get on my laptop and have a dig. There is Info on delcohacking.

The parts are really cheap. Then find some that can do suRface mount soldering and wiring the vss signal to pin d2

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Lexcen (VP Commodore) wagon
When I did the manual conversion on my VP I didn't change the computer and it worked fine, now I have a VR and want to convert it too. I have everything out of the old car and I have a VR manual loom but no computer. What's so different about the computers that I'd need to reprogram the VP one to work? The loom plugs straight in and when you think about it, everything should be the same between a manual VP and a manual VR...

Josh.

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv enhanced vr statesman
Ok his thread hasn't been touched in awhile...
Im currently converting my 94 hsv enhanced vr statesman to.manual and i understand what needs to be done to get the speedo working im using the auto loom with a vr clubsport manual computer...i know where to power the signal and join it i just am alil puzzled on relaying it into d2?? I have found d2 on the plug into the computer but its already got a black wire running into it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

kyle89

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vr sports
did anyone have any probs about the engine light coming on reading auto codes ?

macfuzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8 buick
What gear boxs manual gear box's fit to a vr auto as in out of which commadoor it's for a ute track car / drift and the better diff ratio

GlennW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN man
a quick question with the VN comm will a motor out of a Auto car bolt onto the manual trans in a VN car, as I need to replace the motor