Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Lockdown Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So some of you guys appear to have done a lot of reading on all things covid. Well done.
Question for you. From the information you have digested, what percentage chance of survival do you give yourself if you caught the virus unvaccinated?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
So some of you guys appear to have done a lot of reading on all things covid. Well done.
Question for you. From the information you have digested, what percentage chance of survival do you give yourself if you caught the virus unvaccinated?

It's not about the death aspect for me. I doubt very much I would. It's the continually growing info on longer term impacts. Beyond that it's about the unabated ability a virus has to mutate into something that potentially does mimic Steven King novels. There's more to a virus than just morbidity. I'd rather drop dead than suffer a dive in quality of life, especially post midlife

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Depends on multiple factors

I'm 56, my base health is relatively good, I'm sort of fit, BUT, smoked for alot of years and was chlorine gassed in an explosion about 25 years ago, so I've definitely lost some lung funtion

I trust the science

This is why I got vaccinated ASAP, I always like the advantage in a fight

It also depends if there is a ICU bed available if I crash, I may be fine, I may not

As for the overall survival rate of everyone else, it's impossible to tell without know if there are any underlying issues with them

So far I haven't found any detailed information detailing whether any of the casualties were smokers, had emphysema or orher lung damage, or were asthmatics, or a diabetic, or fat ....yadda yadda yadda

In the end, as no one can actually know how many covid cases there really is the math for a percentage of a case fatality rate is impossible

Running a % from known cases is flawed

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In the US 94% of the deaths had comorbitities, however, these people would probably not have died from them if they did not catch covid. So while they had other health issues, they were not terminal, UNTIL they caught covid.

Running a % from known cases is the only way we can reasonably predict an outcome. Without knowing the numbers of known cases and the effects, we can't predict or even guess a % of anything.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Have heard similar to your stats NAAF. And like the others said, myself and most people I know are not overly concerned about catching Covid, or to put it another way they are happy to continue working and let nature take it's course however that plays out. That is also my view as I don't believe you can police a virus, or lockdown a modern city. City's like Sydney have been designed to ensure everyone is dependent on other people for many things, forcing trade and raising revenue for the government. Hence they have essentially been setup to fail the lockdown test.
So why are we being forced to sit here losing our income wasting our time and not allowed to visit family? Is it purely for the humanitarian idea of protecting the oldest and sickest members of the community? Looks like that to me. Bankrupting families is a heavy price to pay in the hope of achieving an unlikely result. Death comes to us all eventually, I don't think throwing everything else to the wind to avoid it is a good idea.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Have heard similar to your stats NAAF. And like the others said, myself and most people I know are not overly concerned about catching Covid, or to put it another way they are happy to continue working and let nature take it's course however that plays out. That is also my view as I don't believe you can police a virus, or lockdown a modern city. City's like Sydney have been designed to ensure everyone is dependent on other people for many things, forcing trade and raising revenue for the government. Hence they have essentially been setup to fail the lockdown test.
So why are we being forced to sit here losing our income wasting our time and not allowed to visit family? Is it purely for the humanitarian idea of protecting the oldest and sickest members of the community? Looks like that to me. Bankrupting families is a heavy price to pay in the hope of achieving an unlikely result. Death comes to us all eventually, I don't think throwing everything else to the wind to avoid it is a good idea.

Short and sharp lockdowns work (see basically everywhere except Sydney (too slow) and Canberra (no cases ever!))

Not locking down until its spread and continuing to keep non-essential retail open while people are "locked down" is what isn't working in Sydney.
Highest number of cases today, how many days after the first day of "lockdown"?? Gladys said its "national emergency" today, don't recall her saying that about Melbourne last year...

Plenty of discussion of saving old/sick people vs economy in the giant viral thread.
Proponents of both sides, but one generally had more evidence...

Don't forget, plenty of young people are immunocompromised. Throwing them under the bus too.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Here in WA we lockdown a region/s with 1 case of community transmission, are we criticised for it? Absolutely, but we have 3 - 5 days of lockdown and then restrictions are eased if no further cases are recorded. Lockdowns work, but they have to be total lockdowns not selective.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Believing in nature taking its course is wishful thinking. The nature of a virus is to survive and transmit. Talk to any of our older generation about polio, measles, diphtheria among others. Nature was stopped by vaccines. As has been stated many times, this isn't the flu. Humans have zero immunity. In 18 months it's mutated to more dangerous levels multiple times. Nature will kill you. That's its job

Last edited:

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
agree with you there mostly
Seems the new strategy of lockdown used to make/force people to get the jab quickly to achieve a 50% cover fed govt wants to open up borders this year for the economy $$$$$$ where health professionals wants 70 to 80% coverage before allowing opening up international border.

So get used to lockdowns till probably next year as 2 jabs % targets wont be reached till then.
We are in lockdown in SA for a week yet no community transfer or even 1 case in the community of covid, just the ones in medi/quarratine hotels that started this b/s, we shouldn:t be in lockdown or restriction as no community case, just the new new strategy being used by govts.
Last time we had this it was a snap lockdown for 3 days and it worked out ok, but from now on it will be 7 days as a minimum strategy listening to the govt b/s. when all they have to do is put all o/s travellers on a quarratine island or out in the desert/bush like they did for the BOAT PEOPLE for 14 days NOT THE MAINLAND CAPITOL CITIES endangering our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.