Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
"Only appeared when your rolling and rocked the wheel from side to side"

Thats exactly what was happening... Lol.
Sounds like the steering rack is loose to the chassis, or a noise inside the rack itself. Even engine mounts come into mind*

If i was doing 20-30 klms and turned left or right into a street, it was worse, enough to feel the feedback under my left foot through the floorpan.. The mysterious knock/clunk/thud appeared every time...

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
Thank you!
I have the same noise on my VX wagon under almost the same circumstances.
Has been like this ever since I got it 2-3 years ago.
Will get underneath and deal to those bolts once it stops raining in a month or so

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
You can pop the bonnet and get to them with a decent size 13mm ring spanner, but obviously using a socket/ratchet from underneath would be probably better...

Keep us posted.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
We to had nearly the same noise, went to drive left out of a driveway and she started making that noise but just for a minute and then stopped.
I'm having it jacked up on the weekend for a better look.

Update - nope wasn't that and hasn't made the noise again?

Last edited:

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
After what i just went through, my advice would be to pop your bonnet, tighten the nuts on both of the brackets mentioned using a 13mm spanner and go for a quick test drive, before looking at anything else...

I wish I had of, but it just sounds like something in the steering or suspension...
Thats why ive posted the info here in this thread. I spent four to five weeks googling the hell out of this noise, and jacking my car up and down lol...

Last edited:
D

devilly

you know that any-one reading this and has front end problems are gonna bolt to there car and try this :) i know i will be out there checking the tension on them as soon as it stops raining :) thanks heaps for sharing as well as you will save people some serious headaches e.t.c and cash :) enjoy your celebrations :)

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Thats exactly the reason I put this post up. I googled it every night for weeks, but never came across anyone mentioning those firewall to chassy brackets. Anyone who has the noise, would know, it kind of sounds like the steering rack, a bad ball joint, engine mounts, etc etc etc....the list goes on. Lol

Before spending any money, tighten those nuts and see how you go.

Good luck.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Most interesting, the missus has been complaining of a strange noise on her Calais which I haven't really been able to replicate yet.

Whats even more interesting is the amount of flex that would be occurring in the chassis to cause issues with those little bracing brackets.

eymicky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
I've had the same clgunk noise when braking for ages, going to have a look at this as soon as the rain stops. Will report back with the results. Thanks for posting :)

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
The more feedback here, the better.

After all the money I spent, all I had to do was tighten 8 nuts, lol..

But i learned a lot along the way. :)