Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stevo_mahony

Reaction score
Members Ride
lj 2 door 5ltr
hey guys ive been trying 2 fix my 5ltr vq statesman on and off for afew months now because it broke down in a town 4 hours away and the only mechanic in the town is as dodgey as they come :( . i have spoken 2 alot of other mechanics and searched my heart out trying to find the answer but it just seems like this car has a mind of it's own. Ok so it revs and idles flawlessly in park but as soon as i put it in gear and hit the gas it picks up revs like a lawnmower and off the line it wont even spin on the dirt, once the revs are up it has about 80% of it's power. i have replaced the dizzy with another out of a running vq and bought a new coil and modulator. i should mention it all started with a busted distributor and i just havnt been able to get it rite since then. the only thing i havnt replaced is the plugs but i cleaned them up and reset the gaps for a marginal improvement. Also i am having alot of trouble getting the timing in. When the degrees are correct it stalls and when i put it in by ear the timing mark is nearly 2'' out :/ i heard today that your spose to bridge the diognostic clip whilst timing, is this true? any ideas will be much appreciated.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
yes, you have to set the base timing with the ecu in diagnostic mode. (A search will help u with specifics of that part)

I would get the timing correct as a first step.. failing that, blocked cat or muffler?

VQ is a pretty heavy barge in the rear end isnt it?

stevo_mahony

Reaction score
Members Ride
lj 2 door 5ltr
Thanx Ruf i'll do sum research now and hopefully get a step closer lol yeah it's a heavy pig but it used to do twin leggas on the road and now nothing on the dirt.