Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The New Commodore VFII is Coming

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Its worth noting that in the US it seems the average sale price of a VEI (G8) with quality bolt-ons is appreciating to the point where the average price is US$25k (AUD$35.8k) with twice the typical milage and at least four times the age of a VFI here.
Wow - really?!
They can probably just about buy an M5 for the same money ... there must be a decent cult following!

I'm presuming from the "doughy, thirsty & stinky" thing that you're not a fan of either the standard LS3 or just standard Lxx's in general?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
What would be a better buy, low kms VF1 redline with walkinshaw 310 pack and save about $8000 or a new vf2 redline

What would be a better engine, walkinshaw modified 6.0 or the new ls3 6.2?

Ls3 hands down no DOD lifter rattles/ticks. Tune up your LS3 and you'll have fun. Walkinshaw claim 375 from HSV LS3(same engine) although I wouldn't go there due to price.

If I was buying a VE to do up I would get a L98 not the L76/L77 versions.

QAR

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Wagon
Ls3 hands down no DOD lifter rattles/ticks. Tune up your LS3 and you'll have fun. Walkinshaw claim 375 from HSV LS3(same engine) although I wouldn't go there due to price.

If I was buying a VE to do up I would get a L98 not the L76/L77 versions.

Umm... since mid 2009 when AFM lifters made by Delphi all share same lifter ticks and misc. rattles, as well as same catastrophic cam face / lifter roller issue.

Wow - really?!
They can probably just about buy an M5 for the same money ... there must be a decent cult following!

I'm presuming from the "doughy, thirsty & stinky" thing that you're not a fan of either the standard LS3 or just standard Lxx's in general?

Not a fan of basically the same thing as an L77 with just two pubes on the cam lift and across the bore, too much hoo-ha about it being a more reliable performance improvement over the flex capable L77. Fastest NA 6/6.2 ever is a VEI with AFM in place...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll be very interested when real-world fuel usage info starts to become available. A 12% increase is a fair bit, but that's ADR figures not real ones.
I think that for our usage (we're running on all 8, all the time ... it's all traffic-lights & 50-zones ... 3-month-old car is used daily & has 1550km on it) there'd be no measurable difference.
But what different people call "city usage" varies wildly, eg. AFM probably makes a difference even if you spend a lot of your city driving in what feels like interminable traffic because you're crawling at a constant 60km/h in a 3-lane 100/110 zone. I know that when we used to drive 1hr15min each way, a fair bit of that was just cruising along at 70 to 80 before we hit the car-park; whereas now the commute is effectively all car-park (even though the better-half tends to drive before traffic, she's crossing main roads so the light phasing doesn't favour her).

I can't see us ever upgrading, unless we surprisingly feel massively flush with cash in 2017 & the R8 Tourer is still available in Regal Peacock (a big part of buying the demo 2014 Redline was because Regal Peacock was no longer available in the 2015 Redline & there just happened to be a 2014 demo for sale). More likely I'll just fit rear Brembos (wish they were available in silver with Brembo rather than Cadillac logos!), possibly the tail-lights if that's possible (voltage/wattage differences?), and consider an intake + tune + exhaust at some stage (did I read an inference somewhere that you can get better real-world fuel economy - is it appreciable?).

Last edited:

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
No active Cruise Control or Emergency slow speed auto braking!!!!!!!! Disappointed Holden.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Given the (in)accuracy of collision alert, they probably couldn't implement those ...

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Given the (in)accuracy of collision alert, they probably couldn't implement those ...

They are driver aids, not replacements. Plenty of other vehicles in the market have this technology, especially active cruise control (radar).

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
They are driver aids, not replacements. Plenty of other vehicles in the market have this technology, especially active cruise control (radar).
My point was that the vehicle obviously has no idea of what's going-on, from the sensors it would need to use in order to have active cruise. They'd have to implement something completely different, but it makes you wonder why they've used the inaccurate stuff they've already got (maybe GM doesn't have a working "something completely different" at the required price-point?).

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
So how many RPM is 100kph in the manual now? Mine is about 1500RPM.

I would not want that auto braking would be a problem on track days and I also don't how many times I have had that collision warning go off when there was no issue and the car was actually on the other side of the road, imagine if it applied the brakes.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
I'd expect to be saving over $8000, given that the VF1 is no longer "the current model".
Dealer prices are always inflated, it's hard to know what you can really buy a car for when they seem to have all the stock ... but a quick squiz on CarSales says that people are asking about $38k for a 20k km manual Redline. That's already about $15k off new price, and I'd want to haggle further.
Our demo 2014 wagon, which only had 70km on it, was ~$8000 of RRP 3 months ago.

It's a very rare thing where used isn't the best value ... I really have no arguments for buying new, we did it & we're happy we did it, but I can't argue that it's logical. :)

What do you use it for?
The only thing I can imagine I'd ever use it for is if I was picking people up a lot, and waiting around at the station or similar a lot.
Or do you use it as a CD player? I do that, I like to buy my music in a form I can carry around (and which won't get deleted when I forget my iTunes password), so I like to be able to put the CD into the player & listen immediately after I've bought it (and before I get time to rip it to the 'phone). I don't do this often enough that the lack of the player would stop me buying a VF2, though.

We use it for watching DVD. I have VIM and my granddaughter watches spongebob when we pick her up for school. Great way to kill the time when waiting for someone.