Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So backing up your photos and files from your phone and iPad on a hard drive. You do this onto your computer?
I just copy anythingh l want to keep, to my computer or a external hard drive, that l plug into the computer, (used to be able to plug it into my phone.

The external l drive l use is a caddy. So, you can one drive out & replace with another drive. Example when the drive is full. Just take the drive out & slot another drive in. It wil do 2.5" (laptop) & 3.5" drives (pc, computer).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So backing up your photos and files from your phone and iPad on a hard drive. You do this onto your computer?
I have a mix of old iOS, MacOS, Android, Linux and windows devices which are all kept as logically separate standalone devices… These devices are not integrated in any way (other than being on the same wifi/cabled network) so I’m not really part of the Apple/Google locked in ecosystem on any one of them. Some of them are offline and rarely used, like the MacOS laptop.

I use one of my computer to copy important files I’ve downloaded along with photos I’ve taken to this pc. The pc is periodically backed up in a haphazard way but I need to improve on this as the backups aren’t great (waiting for that big tatts win where I’d get a proper server and LTO9 tape backup system :p )

With Android devices I simple plug them into my computer which recognises them as storage devices and I’m able to use windows file manager to move my downloaded files and photos to the PC. Android devices also recognise HDD plugged into the device and you can use the android file manage to move/copy files to the HDD.

But with older Apple phone/iPad gettin* stuff off them is a PITA, though that has changed by Apple being forced to use USB-C (thanks Europe :cool: ). With newer Apple devices that have USB-C, you can simply plug in a HDD directly to the USB-C port and the phone/iPad recognises the storage so you can then move/copy stuff across using the Files app on the device itself.

But what and how you do things really depends on what devices you, their age, and how much stuff you have on them…

What I’d suggest is you take your iPad and android phone to an Apple Store and get one of their “geniuses” to help you navigate issues around iCloud. What you need should be based on how you use your devices and whether you need more than 5GB of storage (5G is a lot of stuff unless you store video on your phone/iPad, etc)…Then the question can become what you really need to keep on line and whether you can dump some of it onto a HDD (or if video onto plastic disk) to stay within the free 5G (because if you don’t do housekeeping the 50G will soon run out and you’ll be looking at the next storage tier)…

Hopefully there is an Apple Store near you but just resist the temptation to be upsold another Apple device :p because once you get in, you can’t get out :oops:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I simply email photos taken on my phone to myself so I can save them to my PC.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
External drives are mainly used to save pics or images from your pc.
If the pc sh#ts itself, just buy another hard drive & load the old operating system on it (the hd image).

Again if the hard drive sh#ts itself, you've lost all your data, if its only saved to the operating system on your pc.
If you've emailed them to yourself, they will be on the email server, example hotmail. The hotmail server will have the data saved to it.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Some email systems will reduce the size and resolution of images, so the emailed copy might not retain the same resolution as the original. It may not matter in some cases, but in others it might?

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute & VF SSV Redline II
I just copy anythingh l want to keep, to my computer or a external hard drive, that l plug into the computer, (used to be able to plug it into my phone.

The external l drive l use is a caddy. So, you can one drive out & replace with another drive. Example when the drive is full. Just take the drive out & slot another drive in. It wil do 2.5" (laptop) & 3.5" drives (pc, computer).
[/URL]
I’d feel much safer with one of these over an iCloud account, plus 3 or 4 TB, mate, you’ll struggle to fill that in a life time.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d feel much safer with one of these over an iCloud account, plus 3 or 4 TB, mate, you’ll struggle to fill that in a life time.
Good thing about the caddy, as you fill thdrive wether 1 GBor 10GB or 1 TB. When full, pull it out of the caddy & put another drive in.
Usually not dependant on operating systems either.
I used be able connect my too. But since changing my phone, l can't connect to it.
I'll have to remember to look into that (connecting external drive to the new phone)?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
External drives are mainly used to save pics or images from your pc.
If the pc sh#ts itself, just buy another hard drive & load the old operating system on it (the hd image).

Again if the hard drive sh#ts itself, you've lost all your data, if its only saved to the operating system on your pc.
If you've emailed them to yourself, they will be on the email server, example hotmail. The hotmail server will have the data saved to it.
There’s a whole strategy to working with backups… and it’s not as simple as one may thing… but I don’t bother with doing system backups as its easy enough to do a reinstall of an ls and applications... I just worry about backing up important data (personal files and videos, pictures, maybe some critical application files, etc)…

I try and treat my important stuff in a simplistic way. My main PC has a raid array which will survive a single point failure (though raid is not a backup). Then I very frequently back up my important file to another of my PC and less frequently to a removable hard drive. Being even more pedantic, I also back up that removable HDD to another HDD that I keep of site.

It all sounds like a PITA, and it is, but one day I’ll script the whole process.

It’s all better than just relying on solely on some cloud business that in the past has burnt people badly…

As an example of being burnt, one guy was running his wedding video business using Kim Dotcom’s Mega to stor his files. Unfortunately the Mega servers were seized by the FBI who subsequently wouldn’t release anyone’s legal files … meanwhile the guys wedding video business went down the gurgled and probably left a few upset newly weds without their wedding videos…

And sadly I’d expect such situations aren’t as isolated as one thinks. Heck businesses have even closed servers required to view/listen to purchased drm infected media leaving owners of such purchases SOL.

All things cloud can suffer from the same problems when one relies on another business that may or may not exist in the future. Cloud storage should never be the sole backup strategy :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cloud storage should never be the sole backup strategy :rolleyes:
Yes!
Good thing about the external drive is it should last decades. Mine is a few years old. It barely gets used.
Thats why it should last decades.

But you can also burn it to disc, cd, dvd, blue ray. Depends on what burner you have.
Thing is, will new burners be around to buy in the coming years or decades, or will they become like the floppy disk (dodo)?