Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of getting a VF Calais, questions first

Blueglow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Interested in getting a VF Calais but just a few quick ones

I'm only getting a 6 and there's a significant price difference between series 1 and 2
What differences are there for a 6 cylinder and which would be better?

What issues are known with these VF models that I may need to look into straight away?

Which fuel do these run best on for maximum economy?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The biggest difference will be in the k's. Longevity is so dependent in servicing between the 15k recommends intervals. VF has a CD player and DVD.
Best economy is from 98 hands down. Best value depends on price at the pump.
Great cars. Get into one. But gotta plug the V8. Soooo much better!

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon

I'm only getting a 6 and there's a significant price difference between series 1 and 2

What issues are known with these VF models that I may need to look into straight away?

Calais or CalaisV??
...because the CalaisV alloys often suffered from ‘crazing’ (moisture under the clear coat...compliments of production in Thailand)..yes only cosmetic but look particularly bad pretty quickly once it starts (Holden replaced them under warranty).

Driver’s seat base also known to have movement etc...

There was at least half a dozen VF1 issues to be repaired by Dealers during scheduled servicing (can’t remember them all as it was my Father’s car)...but you would like to think they had been attended to by the first owner...always good if seller has paperwork.

Blueglow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
I was looking at just regular Calais, what are the main differences between Caliais and the V?
Worth the cost ?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I was looking at just regular Calais, what are the main differences between Caliais and the V?
Worth the cost ?
HUD and Bose stereo alone are worth the extra coin I reckon.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Calais used 18" and Calais V got 19" wheels. Better ride compared to slightly better performance. Own both a series 1 V6 and series 2 V8. V8 much more fun and sounds much better. V6 sounds like a sick cat but the V6 has plenty of power for most circumstances and much more fuel efficient in both city and country driving. In stop start conditions both engines like a drink. I get around 750km on a tank for the V6 compared to 550Km for the MSE. Similar drivers and driving conditions. Delamination of the alloys is a common problem for both series due to poor QC at the thai factory in the humid conditions. It does not affect the performance only the appearance. Are you considering a sedan or wagon as the wagon lose the Bose stereo and sunroof

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director

I have the Calais V Series 2 (MY17) in V6. It is a phenomenal car which will do everything you need it to.

1. No differences in the V6 engine between 1 and 2, and both Calais and Calais V. Performance and output are the same.

2. Known issues were like the steering rack... I believe these all got fixed by the time MY17 came around however it sounds as though you aren’t looking for one of the last ones. Others can help you here (plus doing a search) but I would hazard a guess and say MY16s (Series 2) don’t have those issues with recalls AFAIK as I haven’t heard of any issues there.

3. Best fuel for me is actually 95... 98 gives me an equivalent performance and distance but is more expensive. The V6 can run with 91 or E10 but they aren’t as efficient nor the best for the engine in the long run.

4. Note differences between Series 1 and Series 2. The series 1s may have had a nicer cream interior trim (lovely) otherwise they had the cream stripe along the seats and cream dash until MY17, had a DVD and CD player, and cup holders in the rear seat. The series 2s eliminated all of these. The alloys are a different style - I don’t have any issues with the QC of mine.

5. Difference between the standard and the V: the wheel size (I personally have no issue with the supposed ‘compromise’ in comfort of the 19s over the 18s; I am driving a Commodore after all which is Australian made for Australian conditions), the HUD and Sat Nav (handy to have, especially the HUD. Many complaints about the Sat Nav currentness but it works fine for my purposes in Sydney), the sunroof (why not?), the Bose sound system (far better than stock standard but if you really want something more you’d fit your own speakers in), the lane departure warning and forward collision alert (very handy). For me, it’s definitely worth the extra cost.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If you can, stretch for the CalaisV, the HUD is the best thing in a car ever (except for a V8).
Walk away from the car without hesitation if it does not have a documented service history. Ideally, you want to see additional oil changes between scheduled services.