Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third Manufacturer for V8 Supercars

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hey, I ment limit the power if the Supercars was ever replaced back to production car racing, so we don't get a power race again. The Supercars are limited to hell anyway, off the shelf aftermarket parts can easily handle more revs than they are allowed to do so I'd like to see at least a thousand and maybe a couple thousand revs tacked onto the limiter to make the engine building a bit more skillfull : ). Well back to the topic then. Firstly I've watched every offical "Bathurst" race since 1976 and I did very much like watching it untill the last few years when it started to become 5 hours of parade laps behind pace cars in 2 different cars that aren't even real cars : )!, while you wait for the last 5 lap sprint, you may as well make it a 5 lap race, anyway.

I can't see how another car would be allowed to race unless it ran a Pontiac engine or some very few other makers that have a 5 liter OHV V8 capable of competing with a 302 Chev, but it also has to be a 4 door sedan and sold? made in Australia. I can see it now..... It's going to end up a Magna running RWD with a somehow made up 4 inch bore 302 Chrysler V8 in it with Mopar stickers all over it :p, or maybe they change the 4 door rule and we have Pontiac racing GTO/Monaros with 5 liter Pontiacs in them :D. If it was going to be an international series then Commdores should go back to the Holden V8, since it's plenty capable these days and then may as well race all the Nascar bodys with 6 speeds in them and 302's. But it would still be fake car's, old engines, with rev limiters on them just like it is now. That's how I feel about it and I know everyones got their own opinions but for me at the moment I'll be watching the also declining (but less so) Formula one :/

miss ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S2
I know this thread is for 3rd manufacturer (& ive had my say) but I just have to say,,,,what the?!
What do you mean about the 'declining V8 supercars'?
From reports Ive read, its the fastest growing motorsport category in the world! (fan base, I mean)
Also, Ive only been following the v8supercars for about 6 1/2 yrs but I think since the BA came out its been much more exciting, closer racing

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Running a Pontiac motorsport engine would make no difference - it's still a chev!! All falls under the GM banner.

After reading my last post, i move we ban drunken posting. Thats a shocker.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Holden v Ford

Ok, i wish i got in on this thread earlier but unfortunatly I only joined the forum yesterday.

This is a subject i am very passionate about...

The Ford v Holden Rivalry is what has made the V8Supercars the best motor sport championship on the planet. That and watching 1 1/2 tones of metal drifting over skyline and being thrown into the dipper.

You can't put another manafacturer into V8Supercars without it causing a negative effect.

Lets look at how the series started. The Australian Touring Car Championship (ATCC) was made up of lots of annoying complecated categories where you had the 2ltr tourers running with the big V8s amoung other things. We the paying public in the end became more facinated with the war between ford and holden. In the early days between Brock and Moffit. Then other names came into the battle including Richards, Perkins, Johnson. no one cared about the 2ltrs buzzing around 12 laps behind everyone else.

It took only about 1 1/2 years after the split before the 2ltrs completly died due to the popularity of the V8s. Shell and the ATCC quickly joined the V8's and from then on the series has just gotten bigger. Why change something that is already perfect.

We have already established that the rules of AVESCO states that only australain made cars can enter V8Supercars. the problem i see with introducing a new manafacturer is that the V8Supercars were originally bassed on two australian road cars, that were raced in the old ATCC, which still exist today. The V8 Falcon and the V8 Commodore. Sure the road cars and the race cars differ alot but you can still walk into a ford or holden dealer and say, i want a V8, and there it is. A car that looks and sounds the same as the one you sore thundering around mount panarama. So where is your V8 magna road car? Where is your V8 camry or Avalon road car. They don't exist. Hence they can not be allowed into the V8Supercars.
Call me a purist if you want to, you wouldn't be the first.

This is what i propose...
The feader catagory, the konika series or whatever it is called now has one purpose only, to provide young drivers with expierience to enter the main game.
Why not make this category the V6Supercar series. This way you could include your V6 falcon, V6 Commodore, V6 Camry, and V6 Magna. This way new drivers could still learn the kraft of supercar driving in a slightly less powerful beast, while providing Toyota and Mitsubishi with the opertunity to race thier cars which can be linked back to a road based design. This way, the main series is not altered in anyway keeping the ford v holden rivalry intacked, and allowing other manafactureres to race in a supercar series.

This is what i think anyway,
keep the posts coming, i love arguing about topics i am pasionate about.

Jeff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 4.2
V8 supercar engines

The only other common pushrod V8 available has to be Chrysler. Would be interesting to see a hemi in the series but I don't really think it would happen.
If a Jap manufacturer was let in they would want to use an OHC motor -no? Imagine the parity arguments then.
Jeff

Jeff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 4.2
Jober as a Sudge

jetspin_vl said:
Running a Pontiac motorsport engine would make no difference - it's still a chev!! All falls under the GM banner.

After reading my last post, i move we ban drunken posting. Thats a shocker.
And how do we do that? A little test when 'Submit Reply' is pressed, or maybe the button jumps around the screen -like the 'neko' cat- or perhaps some do gooder could legislate for all modems to be fitted with breath tester. Personally, I find that sooner or later any drink in the vicinity gets spilled -drunk or sober, liquor, coffee or soft drink- and stripping a keyboard, dunking it in water, drying and reassembling after a dose or red wine is a job I could do without. (Was that the voice of experience again?)
Jeff

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Honestly mate, im not as think as you drunk i am.

Solution: Let all manufacturers use their standard engine as a base, have a 700hp limit, and a minimum weight. Watch GenIV destroy.

Hardly fair but I just want to see some demolition haha. :air:

In all seriousness, let's keep the rice out of it. Anyone else here going to Bathurst this year? I'll be with The Rock FM squad on hell corner.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I ment it's declining because there's too many rules to make the racing even and it's less fun to watch these days. I LOVE the idea of having a seperate 6 cylinder series, except the RWD cars would have some advantage, but it would be excellent to see some well tuned, race painted 6 cylinder BA's, VZ's, Camrys and Magnas hooning around, I would like to see that with no modifications to the bottom end of the motor alllowed and you must keep all original parts on the top end (but you can do whatever you want to the insides of them so long as you dont change where the valves/push rods go) :D

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
I reckon Mitsubishi really should join V8 Supercars........................... so everybody can laugh their arses off at them failing and having bloody David Besnard beating them.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Torana said:
I reckon Mitsubishi really should join V8 Supercars........................... so everybody can laugh their arses off at them failing and having bloody David Besnard beating them.

No, don't you mean so Thexton can actually challenge someone ;)