Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a change...of the differential kind!

jonssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv sportwagon
is your brother happy with the wagon ? did it make much difference as i am pretty keen to change the diff in mine to 3.7

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
is your brother happy with the wagon ? did it make much difference as i am pretty keen to change the diff in mine to 3.7

Yep he's happy. I went for a drive with him today to grab a datalog to send to the tuner and it felt really good. Certainly a mod i'd highly recommend if you're sitting on the fence.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Booked in on the 12th November for a 3.7 to be put in the SIDI. Crossing fingers it will work how I want it to and not make it a turd to drive in auto (ie not change up even earlier than it already does when driving slowly as very low RPM not good with current exhaust setup etc). Oh and that I get a bit of extra punch of course :) I reckon this should be about a 14% RW Nm increase @ peak engine torque if this article http://www.rubydist.com/Family/Power.html is to be believed?! However maths was never my strongest point :)

Last edited:

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Freaking out about this now. Without the ability to change shift points I fear the worst. Any reassurance and/or discouragement/advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Is there a written 'how to' out there anywhere? The store fitting mine has never done a VE diff before and only have from 8am till 12pm, so anything to speed them up and save me money would be great :)

They originally told me 2-2.5hrs but when I spoke last they reckon they'll need every bit of that 4 hours!!!

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Is there a written 'how to' out there anywhere? The store fitting mine has never done a VE diff before and only have from 8am till 12pm, so anything to speed them up and save me money would be great :)

They originally told me 2-2.5hrs but when I spoke last they reckon they'll need every bit of that 4 hours!!!

Who's fitting your diff mate? Chev did mine in 1.5 hours with just 1 person doing the install(bear in mind he has done the install a fair few times though).

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
My local Tyrepower who I'm on good terms with... I thought they might as well do it as they'll be doing the rear wheel alignment anyway. They quoted 2hrs @ $75/hr and $60 for the alignment. Going to have to get a confirmation on that price before they start it tomorrow.

Would you mind PMing me how much the diff swap cost just for comparison?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
My local Tyrepower who I'm on good terms with... I thought they might as well do it as they'll be doing the rear wheel alignment anyway. They quoted 2hrs @ $75/hr and $60 for the alignment. Going to have to get a confirmation on that price before they start it tomorrow.

Would you mind PMing me how much the diff swap cost just for comparison?

Kris, it should only take them 2 hours but when we did mine and it took around the 4 hour mark because we had never done one before like them. The second one took under 2 hours after a call to chevs. :)
Easiest way is just to remove the back section of the exhaust and remove the wheels. Then undo the arms on the rotar so it's free and just slide out the driveshafts until it's free from the diff. Then it's just a matter of dropping out the old diff and fitting in the new one, 3 bolts and the driveshaft so it's very quick, 5 mins. tops. Then just fit in reverse and alignment.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Thanks. I didn't read that until now and they're doing their thing. We'll see how long it takes them :)