Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a change...of the differential kind!

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
heyy mate.. assuming your 3.45 diff is out of a manual.. how much $$?? and wanna no if it bolts straight to a sv6..

Yep mate, my wagon's a manual and as far as i know, it will bolt in to any ve diff housing but it would pay to comfirm. Once i get it out i'll get back to you if your still keen!. Should be buy the end of the week.

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
My SV6 currently runs a single spinner 3.27 if I was to purchase something like this VE V8 3.45 LSD COMPLETE DIFF ASSEMBLY (Shot Peened Gearset) would it be a straight swap over or does it require extra work 'cos it's LSD? What sort of labour costs would be involved? Cheers.

The diff swap it self would be a couple hours work, mainly due to having to remove the catback aswell as most of the rear end to access the diff. The actual swapping of the diff is straight foward bolt-in no mods req affair, you'd be looking at about a couple of hours labour(anywhere from $70-$100 an hour) + holden to tech2 the speedo re-cal.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Thanks Y try much appreciated. Holden guys reckon around 5 hours labour. Just wondering if 3.45 or 3.7 now? Wouldn't want to spend all that money and not be happy. Think maybe the 3.7 with the six speed auto might be a bit much?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Well i bought mine today, went with the second hand 3.27 gts diff so we'll see how it goes.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Excellent Juzo looking forward to hearing how it goes and will also be interested to know what sort of labour time was involved as well as how speedo calibration goes.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Excellent Juzo looking forward to hearing how it goes and will also be interested to know what sort of labour time was involved as well as how speedo calibration goes.

As far as the speedo goes it will be out a bit but my tuner is fixing up that and the shift points for me so that will take care of that. My brother and i will attack this ourselves so it'll be interesting to see how we go, i'll take some pictures and put up a how-to if we're successful. :)

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
This looks like not a bad spreadsheet for working out ratios http://www.users.on.net/~bsavio/Diff Ratio VE.xls
Don't forget to change the ratios for the V6 and also the tyre sizes.

Looks like I won't quite get to 100kph in second if I go the 3.7 and only just (if at all) with the 3.45...mmmm decisions, decisions. Does the extra changes slow down a 0-100 or standing 1/4? Not that that matters as much I guess 'cos it'll still accelerate harder between changes.

Last edited:

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
As far as the speedo goes it will be out a bit but my tuner is fixing up that and the shift points for me so that will take care of that. My brother and i will attack this ourselves so it'll be interesting to see how we go, i'll take some pictures and put up a how-to if we're successful. :)

I changed mine on axle stands in the garage pretty easy just that you have to undo rear suspension etc, pays to get the rear alignment redone after.
diffinstall001.jpg

diffinstall002.jpg