Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time to pick a new car. Need thoughts as going into a brave new world

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
sounds like you need an escalade ;)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
while your choices of car are good , what are the maintenance costs / parts like for them when things go wrong or bang , which if you find a good one , should be OK

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Why not a w164 ML350?
Great car, will tow, and fit everything in.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
XC90 will easily fall within your budget and is AWD. Even the "base" 2.5 5 cylinder turbo (2006 model) will tow what you want relatively easily. I would go a later model V8 though purely for the extra grunt. I thought they were huge till I looked at the specs and they are as long as the VX and about as wide. All the seats fold flat to so tons of storage space. Heck you might even get away with 2 people in the back if they are small enough.

Just stay off the IPD website or you will go broke. Parts are relatively easy to get as well.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
why does it have to be euro?

buy a ford ranger dual cab with a canopy on the back to put the dogs and stuff it.

Will be able to do all of that.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Why not a w164 ML350?
Great car, will tow, and fit everything in.

Not a bit fan of how they look tbh.

XC90 will easily fall within your budget and is AWD. Even the "base" 2.5 5 cylinder turbo (2006 model) will tow what you want relatively easily. I would go a later model V8 though purely for the extra grunt. I thought they were huge till I looked at the specs and they are as long as the VX and about as wide. All the seats fold flat to so tons of storage space. Heck you might even get away with 2 people in the back if they are small enough.

Just stay off the IPD website or you will go broke. Parts are relatively easy to get as well.

Yeah, I was looking at the XC90's but they usually are over 30k with the kit I want. The XC60 for example usually falls just under and the good variants creep into 30+

Jeep so you can work on your sun tan by standings roadside while it's broken down.

My mate just bought a Jeep SRT-8. First thought that popped into my head was 'what a spanner'. lol. I've driven two Jeeps in my time, both the Grand Cherokee ones and just wasn't impressed. Plus Jeep drivers seem to be the love child of ex-Volvo and BMW drivers.

And I don't want to pay extra for extra's, like indicators. Which seems to be the direction most other Jeep drivers have gone.

buy a ford ranger dual cab with a canopy on the back to put the dogs and stuff it.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah mate. One of my mates currently owns 2 Rangers. The first one went back about 8 times with trans issues and other items. Ultimately he seemed happy but they don't tickle my fancy.

And it won't fit in my garage.... or the garage in the city. So not really appropriate for my needs. :p

Leaning more and more towards the Volvo XC60, specifically the R-Design variants. The petrol one seems like a nice bit of kit and does everything I need.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Cause Euros tend to be just that much better when it comes to the overall package.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
could raptor kit the ranger thou...

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
could raptor kit the ranger thou...

Is it just me or do others think that just looks "try hard" or "wanna be"?

It's like muppets that put HSV kits on non-HSVs. Want a Raptor? Buy a friggin Raptor!