Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing on Red 173!

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
...because TDC sits on where 6BTDC lies... does that mean I need to go another 6BTDC backwards??? I'm thinking that is the problem.

Been told this IS the problem!!! That's what I thought... never knew the engine could throw out as far as that.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Had to pour petrol down the carby... this is the problem now. Car started and ran fine after adjusting the timing properly and pouring fuel down it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So it runs ok on its own now? If you have to pour fuel in the carby to keep it running then maybe the needle and seat in the carby is sticking. They are in the brass fitting that the fuel line screws into.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Nah it run ok before I pulled out the carby... took the thing apart and cleaned it out, and now it just floods the engine with fuel and pisses all out everywhere down the manifold.

Its cheap enough to buy a new carby, just I cant find many places for the $20 Im prepared to pay for one lol...

I tried to stick some thin wire through one of the holes to see if it was blocked up. More of a probe rather than an unblocker, but Im not sure if I damaged it or not. I forgot all about pickapart!... Might see what they want for a carby. Lost one of the rocker cover screws also, and little pieces here and there I can get hopefully.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Carbies can be a pain if you're not sure of what you're doing. Good luck.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Yea totally, just going to get another one...

Pickapart reckon $50 for one...wtf no way.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Cant find one at any wreckers... they are like $10 on ebay but I owe $20 worth of fees which I posted yesterday so can't buy them, and need them this week... doh!!!

I got about $50 on me today, and need some fibreglass repair kit, so maybe I should just stick with doing bodywork today, and go get a 350 Holley for her 2moro....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Please....no. 350 Holley is worse if you don't know how to tune it. Also, all it will do is use a bucket load of fuel. Go the Webber.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
carb - 30+
manifold - stock 350 manifold - $30-50 if i can find one
adaptor plate - $40

Holley 350 and manifold - $100...

Ill go withdraw $300 out my account on friday so I can work on the engine over the weekend. Need the car for Monday morning, and the holley is basically standard fitment. I have some experience with the 350 Holley on 202's so it should be roughly the same. Enough to get it running anyway. My uncle can come tune it for me properly. He was a mechanic for ford for 35 years until he retired a couple years back.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
We have a 202 with a street stock cam here that I have been playing with. We fitted a brand new 350 hooked up my wideband & put it on the dyno. Standard 350 holley jets are too big for this combo & we had to go down to #57s on the jets to get WOT fuelling close. The 173 that you have will need smaller again. Especially since it is for the street.