Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tones VX SS Mod Thread

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Hmmmm,
So after doing a little more research (Yes I know, should have done it before the sticker change) I have realized it's a little more than just a little sticker. I honestly had no idea it is as bad as changing compliance plates etc. I just thought I'm running 18's, I'll get an 18's sticker. As far as I'm now aware It can be changed, but needs to be done by an engineer or the like? It can also have the potential to cause issues with insurance etc.
So for all the "public" out there, I will be putting the original sticker back on and selling my 18" rims so I can go back to 17", so that my vehicle is totally compliant...........

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hmmmm,
So after doing a little more research (Yes I know, should have done it before the sticker change) I have realized it's a little more than just a little sticker. I honestly had no idea it is as bad as changing compliance plates etc. I just thought I'm running 18's, I'll get an 18's sticker. As far as I'm now aware It can be changed, but needs to be done by an engineer or the like? It can also have the potential to cause issues with insurance etc.
So for all the "public" out there, I will be putting the original sticker back on and selling my 18" rims so I can go back to 17", so that my vehicle is totally compliant...........

Post of the day.... good call :)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I would check first. Like I said last I knew the rule around Aus was any rim as long as rolling diameter is +/- 15mm from factory largest rim.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
No need to change back to 17eens. Use an online tyre calculator and it should show your fine with 18eens and your rolling diam is within specs..

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Probably got more things to worry about than wheels size. As I'm sure most of us do................

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Tones, I'm not sure you're understanding the difference between wheel size and TOTAL ROLLING DIAMETER

eg. For my own car:
Standard Wheel: 205/65R15 = 647.5mm
New rims: 235/35R19 = 647.1mm

Difference of a massive 4 inches rims size, but only -0.4mm difference to total rolling diameter.

All I'm trying to say is chill out with the rim size, you're fine as long as you have 235/40R18.

Last edited:

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Your right Meady, brain definitely goes into weekend mode.

I do understand about the rolling diameter vs rim size.

If you had for instance, 235/45R17 and upgraded to 235/40R18 that is well inside the specs. For a brief moment, I was only thinking about the rims size and not the total rolling tyre size. The two examples above are only 5mm difference.

I was in reality never going to change wheels anyway.
BUT, I will put the original tyre placard back on. As I said, I didn't realize changing the sticker was such a serious issue.
Thanks everyone.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Keep in mind the load ratings for your tires and you are all set :thumbsup: