Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque converter playing up maybe. ?

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
I'd say it's a fair bet if I went back to the Trans shop in Perth and tell him his boys under filled my transmission he would tell me to get out.
Even thou I have a written report saying so it's a very hard thing to prove.
He would just say it must of leaked out even though it did not.

It's just one of those situations where it's a situation and not for the Trans shop.
Im just glad I have got it sorted before I head off again.

It's a long way home and to have an Auto transmission failure in out back Queensland sort of disturbs me.
As far as the Transmission guy in Wodonga doing a complete service including flushing the torque converter I'm very happy he did, after all he was trying to identify a problem so better to start from the get go.

The bill was 380 buks and now I'm all good for another 40000 KLM.

Im more than happy.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Agreed that many businesses would simply resort to rudeness or intimidation when confronted by their poor service standards. Seems so many subscribe to the “Faulty Towers“ customer service playbook. It’s sad really.

Heck, if the worst occurred with your gearbox, if having a report (also stating no leaks found) doesn’t help to get a free repair, it may just be enough to help get part of it covered as good will which can still be a substantial amount. With an ACL statutory warranty claim, it gets much more complex unless you have full vehicle and service history. But you never know when or how helpful a bit of paper can be until you realise you don’t have it :p

Glad that it was all sorted but back to the issue, how was the cold start this morning :rolleyes:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
OK, here is the money shot.
Cranked it over today give it 30 seconds or so and dropped it into drive. Not a noise, wimper or dummy spit. The car moved off down the road, the Auto felt really solid and changed gears exactly how it shoud. Thank god i must add. Knocked out 200 KLM today and all good.

So this problem was caused by a dodgy employee not doing his job, it's a bit of an effort to get the correct level in the VF box but Jesus Christ, these guys do this day in and day out so ya would think it's easy for them to achieve the correct level.

So the problem was this. Because the oil level was low the oil pump was cavitating before it picked up the oil and this is what i said it sounded like from the get go.
I hope this thread helps other members on this forum if they find themselves in my situation.
Cheers.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
There is one more chapter to this story and that is this. If the transmission oil was low when i had my trans cooler fitted then why did the problem not surface until i was 3000 Klm down the road ?
There was no leaks according the Wodonga shop so where did it go ?.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There is one more chapter to this story and that is this. If the transmission oil was low when i had my trans cooler fitted then why did the problem not surface until i was 3000 Klm down the road ?
Maybe it took that long to heat up ;) or the level was right on the limit of causing cavitation and the fluid thinned out a little bit over the 3000ks which put it over the edge. Don't know, but do you know what fluid the second shop used to fill the transmission? Just curious

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V

Maybe the oil level was normal when your car went in. With the trans oil cooler added to the circuit, they should’ve added more than the factory spec trans oil capacity. Maybe the trans shop dipstick missed that aspect. The key question here is, will the trans oil cooler circuit retain 1.2ltrs of oil?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Ah, plot thickens... so he who fitted cooler possibly was the one that didn’t top up the fluid level correctly or used wrong oil :eek:

It’s sorted now so the lesson is to always check what the dipsticks actually do during the paid for service :oops:

As to why it took 30,000kms for the issue to surface... it’s water under a bridge and you’ll do your head in trying to work it out. Just be happy and take the win in that you don’t need a rebuilt the box. In future, it’s probably a good idea to check that the “professionals” you’ve payed have done the work correctly :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
It was 3000 KLM not 30,000 KLM After the cooler was fitted that the issue showed up.
I agree with checking work done on ya ride but considering I'm no Transmission expert how the fook am i expected to check the shops work ?.

Right there is why I paid a reputable Trans Auto shop to fit my cooler and paid top dollar .

The Perth shop ain't owned by Mickey Mouse and has been running 30 years dealing only in Auto Transmissions on all sorts of vehicles.
It was a fault by one of the workers and one would think that considering Transmissions is all they do it should never happen.

Anyway, just wondering why it took 3000 KLM to show up. ?

Last edited:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
As far as me knowing what fluid the Wodonga shop put in - How would I Know ?
Once again I'm Johnny punter paying a reputable shop to do the correct job.

I researched the Wodonga shop and all reviews came back saying they do top work so that's all us pleb can do really.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It was 3000 KLM not 30,000 KLM After the cooler was fitted that the issue showed up.
I agree with checking work done on ya ride but considering I'm no Transmission expert how the fook am i expected to check the shops work ?.

Right there is why I paid a reputable Trans Auto shop to fit my cooler and paid top dollar .

The shop ain't owned by Mickey Mouse and has been running 30 years dealing only in Auto Transmissions on all sorts of vehicles.
It was a fault by one of the workers and one would think that considering Transmissions is all they do it should never happen.

Anyway, just wondering why it took 3000 KLM to show up. ?

Good shops do make mistakes and it's how they deal with the mistake that's important and in some cases they don't want to admit to an error.

I had a Toploader reconditioned at a well known shop in Sydney and the thing was so noisy it near drove me nuts and they kept telling me that was part of owning one and to some extent they were right.

But this was over the top and it took a lot of arguing and many months before I finally got them to admit it wasn't right and to redo the job.

All I can say is heaven help someone who wasn't experienced in owning this particular gearbox as they would have gotten nowhere.