Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque Wrenches

pyro_104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting my first torque wrench. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding these i.e. brands to get/avoid, best place to buy etc?

Much aprieciated!
Aidan

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
mate I'm also looking for one, but I've heard of K-mart having one for $50, but expect to pay up to $350-$400 from Repco Supercheap etc.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Try your local caterpillar dealer. They have an excellant swivel head one that is made by snap-on without the price tag. Either that or get the Warren & Brown type from repco. While you may get what you pay for I have seen some of the real expensive ones being miles out & causing a few problems. Make sure that the torque range you will be using the most is not at the extremes of the wrenches range as they can be inaccurate at these settings.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
is it worth getting a cheap $50 one supposedly from Kmart? Or start saving my $$$?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I paid $80 or so at Bunnings for the Kinchrome adjustable one.. TBH it's a waste of money..

Common sense and a ratchet are just fine..

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
yup kinchrome is the go nice and cheap and have a lifetime warranty

pyro_104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks people - some good info there.

I notice wrenches are listed as being 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive. What dimension does this refer to? The size of the connector that goes into the back of the socket?

Do torque wrenches need to be periodically calibrated, or for that matter can a torque wrench be calibrated?

thanks again

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
no calibration (as far as im aware) but the drive is the size of the socket connector

i recommend you egt a 3/8 and buy socket adapters as they start at a lower torque (i ended up buying two since i first got a 1/2 and realised that any bolts with a soft toque it was too big for and i kept snapping bolts) the 1/2 starts at around 40nm and the 3/8 starts at 5nm the 1/4 starts at 0 but its more for transmition work where you do bolts up finger tight lol and not many people are gonna be rebuilding auto transes

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Most torque wrenches can be calibrated. I am pretty sure that people in the aircraft industry have to have theirs calibrated every 6 months. Mine I get done every 2 years due to the lack of use. I agree with HDT AERO about starting with a 3/8 drive one as they suit small petrol engines better than a 1/2 which are more suited to the head tension of your diesel engines.

pyro_104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
thanks again guys, you've been helpful as always!