Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Same as mine, went to part department and got mate who is parts manager to look up, as I used to work there and he couldn't find any reference to the GM part numbers on my bar either which are in the picture 3 posts up.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ I'd check with Holden about the tow bar recall of some years ago. They should have a list of the recalled part numbers. Maybe some didn't get swept up by the recall and made their way to the wreckers only to be onsold to unsuspecting end customers.

Just make a point to tell them you didn't have a factory installed towbar so nothing to do with your VIN... you want to find out what tow bar part numbers were impacted and how...

Clarkemck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
Same as mine, went to part department and got mate who is parts manager to look up, as I used to work there and he couldn't find any reference to the GM part numbers on my bar either which are in the picture 3 posts up.

Mine doesnt even have a welded on plate, only a sticker attached to the bar. Its brand new, fitted at a smaller holden dealer who had to order it in specifically for me.
Here is a pic of the id sticker from under the car.
Just a bit disappointing that the dealerships cant give me an answer to why they would use a part which isn't listed on their system.
20190118_172638.jpg
20190118_172638.jpg

Clarkemck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
I know i might be getting a little picky, but would you be bothered by the towbar neck protruding from the bumper more than usual?
Mine is the second pic, without the tongue fitted (the other is one at the dealership)
Screenshot_20190119-191200_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20190119-191637_Gallery.jpg

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Nah I'm just annoyed they have to cut the rear bar but I've bit the bullet and will get the 1.6t for the ute this week for $870.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I know i might be getting a little picky, but would you be bothered by the towbar neck protruding from the bumper more than usual?

Yeah, that probably would tick me off a little bit, particularly knowing they could fit it a bit closer (different brands though perhaps..?).

The upshot is you have a bit more leeway distance-wise for sharp turns etc when towing i guess..

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
It can tow the 2100 kgs if you have the stability towing package fitted to the trailer, which I think is those torsion rods, on my Calais the neck is close to the bumper and makes it hard to fit and remove the pin that holds in the hitch/tongue, it did have a cut out template moulded into the back of the bumper of where to cut out the hole, and I just used some of the pinch moulding to wrap around the hole.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It can tow the 2100 kgs if you have the stability towing package fitted to the trailer, which I think is those torsion rods, on my Calais the neck is close to the bumper and makes it hard to fit and remove the pin that holds in the hitch/tongue, it did have a cut out template moulded into the back of the bumper of where to cut out the hole, and I just used some of the pinch moulding to wrap around the hole.
Those rods are for load leveling and it doesn’t increase GMV as such.

You can also get ESC/ABS systems added to a trailer which makes towing much safer. I’ve placed links on trailer ESC/TC in another post on another towbar thread. Search should find it if you’re interested.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Correct. The stability control bars are the only difference between the 1600 & 2100kg tow bars.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director