Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota MR2 Engine Rebuild or Swap

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
they are not the easiest of engines to work on due to the location of the engine and small engine bay, ive ended up sitting on the boot working on mine before when i had them! or kneeling on top of the motor lol i dont see why they couldnt take the head off with the block still in the car.. im 99% sure it would be possible..

Might be worth while signing up on the MR-2 owners club forum and ask if anyone on there has changed the head gasket with motor still in the car, im sure someone will of done.

Try taking your car to a few different mechanics and get some different quotes and opinions. I would offer to help you out if you was local, but perth is a little far :)

Lol, Perth isn't that far XD RAC & Hi Flow both said engine needs to come out. Think it just makes it easier for them.
Been emailing JapAuto,
I say "Could I get some information more for the Gen 2? Km's? Compression? What parts are included? Warranty?"

"gen engine has 210 psi compression on all 4 95,000 kms 60 day warranty"

Gee I'm glad it's got compression! atleast thats a good start! I know they couldn't sell an engine if it's stuffed but wanted to know compression in each cyl so can get a rough idea of the insides. 2 Months warranty. It's complete gen II engine with loom and ecu $1600.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
should be a straight bolt in swap the rev1 and rev2 3S-GE engines are the same, 60 day warranty will give you enough time to get it in and running so you should be all good.

I would still be doing the head gasket 1st.. but thats me...
Do you not have any mechanically minded mates that could give it a crack? the actual head gasket its self will prob only cost around $75

perth is a good 3000kms from me mate lol

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
should be a straight bolt in swap the rev1 and rev2 3S-GE engines are the same, 60 day warranty will give you enough time to get it in and running so you should be all good.

I would still be doing the head gasket 1st.. but thats me...
Do you not have any mechanically minded mates that could give it a crack? the actual head gasket its self will prob only cost around $75

perth is a good 3000kms from me mate lol

Warranty wouldn't really matter. Because by the time I pay for the labour to take old out and put new in and then take it out if it's faulty for whatever reason... and then shipping it back to East, it wouldn't be worth it. My car is a Rev 2 anyway.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
My car is a Rev 2 anyway.

Not possible mate, the SW20 MR-2 was released in 1989, revision 1 ranged from 89 to late 92, revision 2 was late 92 to early 94 revision 3 was 94-96 revision 4 96-98 revision 5 98-00 and production of the SW20 finished in 2000 so yours is most defiantly a rev1 mate.

So you fixing your car or not..? you have a few options open to you.
For the time being try running thicker oil in it, it will reduce the consumption.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Yeah seriously Deutscher,

You are all over the place with this.

Start simple and work from there, don't do too much thinking about what might be wrong with the car as it will simply do your head in.

The mechanics are blowing air up your arse about a full engine rebuild.

You have good compression and if the bottom end isn't rattling or clunking then chances are it should be fairly safe.

Just get the head gasket changed and go from there and possibly chuck in a new set of valves and seals.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS

Start simple and work from there, don't do too much thinking about what might be wrong with the car as it will simply do your head in.

You have good compression and if the bottom end isn't rattling or clunking then chances are it should be fairly safe.

Just get the head gasket changed and go from there and possibly chuck in a new set of valves and seals.

Words of wisdom! could not of said it batter my self!! :)

I think your worrying far to much.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Not possible mate, the SW20 MR-2 was released in 1989, revision 1 ranged from 89 to late 92, revision 2 was late 92 to early 94 revision 3 was 94-96 revision 4 96-98 revision 5 98-00 and production of the SW20 finished in 2000 so yours is most defiantly a rev1 mate.

So you fixing your car or not..? you have a few options open to you.
For the time being try running thicker oil in it, it will reduce the consumption.

Oops, got generation and revision mixed up.
It's not the consumption thats the issue... filling up each week is alrite.
It's the massive amounts of white smoke coming from the exhaust.. it smokes so much it would be yellow stickered I think.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2

Are there no decent workshops out there? I've taken it to Toyota, Hi Flow Reconditioning, RAC, AutoMasters. This is what each of them told me.

Toyota - Can't do anything until we open up the head, could just be stem seals,
AutoMasters - Needs new engine
Hi Flow - Did CO2 test - blown head, did compression test - all good, not sure about the oil. Full rebuild 6-10k.
RAC - smokes ALOT, head rebuild $3300 (won't know if it will fix the oil), full rebuild $6600. Won't know until engine is opened.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
get your self to a auto store, supercheap or the like, and buy a bottle of Nulon stop smoke! add it to your engine oil asap! it will help with the smoke issue :)
Is the smoke a white/blue sort of colour?